[an error occurred while processing this directive] [an error occurred while processing this directive]

General Requirements

Bachelor of science degree

Each degree offered by the College of Human Ecology provides graduates with a foundation for professional practice and lifelong learning. Graduates from all degree programs in the college will be able to:

· Understand the interaction of people with their environments.

· Understand roles and dynamics within family and other human systems.

· Recognize and value diversity throughout the human experience.

· Access, analyze, and interpret data to make informed decisions.

· Articulate informed points of view on issues that affect individuals, families, and professional practice.

· Apply professional knowledge to improve the lives of people.

· Demonstrate standards of ethical conduct.

· Assume the responsibilities of citizenship.

Basic curriculum requirements are listed below. See specific program descriptions for details.

General requirements (39 hours minimum)

Communications (8-9)
ENGL 100Expository Writing I3
ENGL 200Expository Writing II3
SPCH 105Public Speaking IA2
SPCH 106Public Speaking I3
Quantitative studies (6)
MATH 100College Algebra3
A college-level calculus course3
Statistics course3
Social science (6)
(To include course work in economic systems and human behavior.)*6
Humanities (6)
Natural sciences (7)
(To include course work in life science and physical science; one course with a laboratory.)*7
Additional integrative studies courses (6)
GNHE 310Human Needs3
FSHS 350Family Relationships and Gender Roles3
University general education elective3
Professional studies (36 or more hours) A minimum of 30 hours must be in human ecology or equivalent courses.
(See specific option/program.)
Unrestricted electives
(See specific option/program.)
Total hours for graduation124 or more
*A listing of categories of courses applicable toward the general studies requirements for human ecology programs is available from the college dean's office.

University general education requirements

Kansas State University has established requirements for a university general education program. See “University general education requirements” in the Degrees section of this catalog. Transfer students should see the “General education requirements for transfer students” in the Transfer Admission section of this catalog. Degree requirements for College of Human Ecology programs include courses to meet UGE requirements.

As required by the university, students must complete 18 credits in approved UGE courses, including at least 6 credit hours at the 300 level or above. Required credits are adjusted for transfer students and students who have completed credit by examination (AP, IB, CLEP, DANTES) or through study abroad programs approved by Kansas State University. Only courses completed at Kansas State University and approved for UGE can be used to meet these requirements.

Approved UGE courses are marked with a University General Education course in course descriptions. For a current list of approved UGE courses: www.k-state.edu/registrar/enroll/gened.html

To ensure breadth in the general education experience, each College of Human Ecology student must complete at least one approved UGE course in four of the following areas:

· Quantitative studies

· Economics

· Social sciences

· Humanities

· Life sciences

· Physical sciences

· Courses from professional colleges

Students required to complete only 9 credits in UGE courses must have three of these areas represented. Students required to complete only 6 credits must have two of these areas represented. Only courses outside the department or school that offers the student's major can be applied toward the student's UGE requirement.

Grade requirement

Grades of C or higher are required in all professional studies and supporting courses in College of Human Ecology degree programs.

Transfer courses

Careful planning enables students to transfer courses from another college or university that will apply toward specific degree requirements at K-State. See www.k-state.edu/admit/tran.html for information about the transferability to Kansas State University of specific courses offered by most Kansas higher education institutions. Contact the College of Human Ecology Dean's Office with questions about transfer courses.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]