[an error occurred while processing this directive] [an error occurred while processing this directive]


he university uses the following grades:

A, for excellent work

B, for good work

C, for fair work

D, for poor work

F, for failure

I, for incomplete

P, for grades of B, C, or D in courses taken under the A/Pass/F grading option

Cr, for credit in courses for which no letter grade is given (nongraded courses)

NC, for no credit in courses for which no letter grade is given (nongraded courses)

NR, for no grade reported

W, for withdrawn

XF, violation of Honor Code

The grade of Incomplete (I) is given in regular courses (other than independent studies, research, and problems) upon request of the student for personal emergencies that are verifiable. The faculty member has the responsibility to provide written notification to the student of work required to remove the incomplete. The student has the responsibility to take the initiative in completing the work, and is expected to make up the incomplete during the first semester (enrolled) at the university after receiving the grade of I. If the student does not make up the incomplete during the first semester enrolled at the university after receiving it, a grade may be given by the faculty member without further consultation with the student.

If after the end of the first semester the I remains on the record it will be designated as F for record-keeping purposes and will be computed in the student's GPA, weighted at 0 points per credit. A grade of NR will be treated in a like manner using the designation F.

Courses in which a Cr or P grade is received may be used in fulfilling graduation requirements. Only the grades A, B, C, D, and F are used in calculating resident grade averages.

Report of Grades

Academic progress reports for new freshmen are mailed to students and deans' offices at the close of the fifth week of courses of the fall or spring semester.

The instructor reports final semester grades, based on examinations and course work, to the Registrar's Office.

In case of absence from the final examination, the instructor reports a mark of I for incomplete or computes the grade on the basis of zero for the final examination. If an Incomplete is reported, a reasonable time, usually not over one month, is allowed in which to take the examination.


For each semester hour of graded work, students earn points, as follows:

A = 4.0

B = 3.0

C = 2.0

D = 1.0

F = 0

Scholastic Deficiencies

Students are notified of their scholastic status by the appropriate academic deans from information supplied by the Registrar's Office. The scholastic record of each undergraduate is evaluated twice yearly, at the end of the fall semester and at the end of the spring semester. The student's scholastic status does not change as a result of work taken in summer semester or intersession.

Students (excluding students in the College of Veterinary Medicine) are placed on academic warning or dismissal according to the following policy.

Students who earn less than a 1.0 GPA in a given semester

Students who earn less than a 1.0 GPA in any semester are considered to have neglected their academic responsibilities. The following policy applies:

1. Any student (freshman or transfer) who earns less than a 1.0 semester GPA in his or her first semester at K-State will be dismissed.

2. Any continuing student enrolled at K-State not dismissed by university academic standards policies but who earns less than a 1.0 semester GPA will have registration for the next semester withheld subject to review by the academic dean or the dean's representative(s).

Academic warning

1. Students who earn less than a 2.000 K-State semester or cumulative GPA will be placed on academic warning.

2. Students will be automatically taken off academic warning when the cumulative K-State GPA reaches 2.000 in spring or fall end-of-semester grade posting.

Academic dismissal

1. Credit hours used to determine the appropriate threshold will include transfer hours accepted, all K-State graded hours, and miscellaneous hours completed.

2. Credit hours used in calculating semester and cumulative grade point averages will include only K-State graded hours. Grades for courses accepted in transfer from another institution will not be used in the grade point average calculation.

3. Students with a K-State cumulative GPA of 1.0 or greater will not be dismissed until they have accumulated at least 20 semester credit hours as defined in item 1. (Exception: A student who earns less than a 1.0 semester GPA in his or her first semester at K-State will be dismissed.)

4. Students must be on academic warning the semester prior to dismissal. (Exception: A student who earns less than a 1.0 semester GPA in his or her first semester at K-State will be dismissed.)

5. Students will be academically dismissed if their K-State cumulative GPA is below the following threshold values:

Total hours accumulated*K-State GPA
greater than 1052.00

*Defined in item 1 above

6. Students who earn a K-State semester GPA of 2.200 or more on 12 or more graded hours (or the minimum grade point average established by the student's college, if higher) during the semester in question will not be dismissed.

7. Students who neglect their academic responsibilities may be dismissed at any time on recommendation of the academic dean.

8. Dismissed students will be readmitted only when approved for reinstatement by the academic standards committee of the college the students are attempting to enter. Normally students must wait at least two semesters before being considered for reinstatement and are on academic warning at the time of readmission.

9. Students who have been dismissed or have had their registration withheld will receive a letter providing a contact person and information about reinstatement or enrollment procedures.


Normally a student must wait at least two semesters before being considered for reinstatement.

A dismissed student will be readmitted only when approved for reinstatement by the academic standards committee of the college the student is attempting to enter; the application for reinstatement must be directed to the academic standards committee.

Students who earn a semester grade point average of at least 2.0 but less than 2.2 on 12 or more credits during the semester they are dismissed can be considered for immediate reinstatement.


Graduation honors

Degree candidates who have completed a minimum of 60 hours in residence, with at least 50 hours in graded courses, are considered for graduation with scholastic honors as follows:

· Summa cum laude: 3.950 or above academic average.

· Magna cum laude: 3.850-3.949 K-State academic average.

· Cum laude: 3.750-3.849 K-State academic average.

Doctor of veterinary medicine degree candidates are eligible to receive these honors based on courses completed in the professional program.

Semester honors

Students with 12 graded hours whose semester grade point average places them in the upper 10 percent academically of their classification and college will be awarded semester scholastic honors.

Credits for Extracurricular Work

Students may earn credit toward graduation by satisfactory participation in certain extracurricular activities. These activities, and the maximum semester hours of credit allowed, are as follows:

Subject and coursehourshours
KSU Symphony (MUSIC 130, 404)14
Bands—Marching, Pep, etc. (MUSIC 115, 116, 401, 411)14
Concert Choir (MUSIC 111, 400)14
Collegiate Chorale (MUSIC 121, 403)14
K-State Singers (MUSIC 125)14
Concert Jazz Ensemble and Jazz Labs (MUSIC 298, 299)14
Men's Glee Club (MUSIC 135, 408)14
Women's Glee Club (MUSIC 140, 409)14
Instrumental Ensemble (MUSIC 117, 280, 402, 480)14
Vocal Ensembles (MUSIC 280, 480 voice)14
Opera Workshop (MUSIC 475)14
Debate (SPCH 210)24
Kansas State Collegian Journalism (MC360)14
K-State Agriculturist (AGCOM 410)14
K-State Engineer (DEN 200)12
KSDB participation (MC460)13
Men's Athletics (ATHM)14
Women's Athletics (ATHW)14

Extracurricular credit is also available with the K-State Dance Workshop (through Dance Production course).

Credits may be counted as electives in a student's curriculum. A student may use no more than 8 semester hours in these subjects toward graduation and enroll for not more than two in a semester.

A student is regularly assigned to these activities, with permission of the instructor in charge of the work. A student participating in one or more of these activities must be enrolled even though the credits exceed the maximum for graduation.

Classification of Students

An entering high school graduate with less than 30 semester hours accumulated credit is classified as a freshman. A student is advanced to a higher classification upon successful completion of sufficient credit hours to meet the requirements as listed below:

FreshmanSophomoreJuniorSeniorFifth-year student*
Less than 30306090120

*Applies only to the College of Architecture, Planning, and Design and the College of Engineering.

Student Records

University policy

Kansas State University maintains various student records, to document academic progress as well as to record interactions with university staff and officials. To protect the student's rights to privacy, and to conform with federal law, the university has an established policy for handling student records. Interpretation of this policy is based on experience with educational records, and the policy itself may subsequently be modified in light of this experience. Notice of this policy and of students' rights under the federal law is given annually. Copies of this policy are available at the Registrar's Office, 118 Anderson Hall, and are published in the Undergraduate Catalog and in the Course Schedule.

Directory information

Certain information concerning students is considered to be open to the public upon inquiry. This public information is called directory information and includes: name, local address and telephone number, permanent address, photograph or likeness, e-mail address, college, enrollment status (full/part-time), curriculum, classification, date and place of birth, dates of attendance at Kansas State University, awards and academic honors, degrees and dates awarded, most recent previous educational institution attended, participation in officially recognized activities and sports, and height and weight of members of athletic teams.

Directory information as defined above will be released upon inquiry, unless the student has requested that this information not be released. The student's request to have directory information withheld must be submitted to the Registrar's Office (118 Anderson Hall) in Manhattan or College Advancement (208 College Center) in Salina, which will notify other appropriate university offices.

Confidential information

With the exception of the information noted above, students' records are generally considered to be confidential. The following policies govern access to confidential student records:

1. Each type of student record is the responsibility of a designated university official, and only that person or the dean, director, or vice president to whom that person reports has authority to release the record. The responsible officials are:

a. Academic records: For undergraduates, the registrar, Anderson Hall; for graduate students, the Graduate School office, Fairchild Hall.

b. Admissions records: For undergraduates, the director of admissions and student financial assistance, Anderson Hall; for graduate students, the Graduate School office, Fairchild Hall.

c. Financial aid records: director of admissions and student financial assistance, Fairchild Hall.

d. Business records: Controller's Office, Anderson Hall.

e. Traffic and security records: head of KSU Police Department, Edwards Hall.

f. Medical records: director, Lafene Health Center.

g. Counseling records: director, Counseling Services, Lafene.

h. Actions of academic standards committees: college dean.

i. Academic disciplinary records: chair, undergraduate grievance committee.

j. Non-academic disciplinary records: dean of student life, Holton Hall.

k. Housing records: director of Housing and Housing Services, Pittman Building.

l. Placement records: director of Career and Employment Services, Holtz Hall.

m. Evaluations for admission to graduate or professional programs: dean (of the graduate school or the appropriate college) or department head.

n. Special academic programs: Faculty member in charge of the program and dean of the college

o. Foreign student records: Foreign student advisor, International Student Center.

p. Test scores for College Level Examination Program (CLEP), American College Testing Program (ACT), Miller Analogies Test MAT), etc.: director of academic assistance center, Holton Hall.

2. Confidential educational records and personally identifiable information from those records will not be released without the written consent of the student involved, except to other university personnel, or in connection with the student's application for financial aid; or by submitting proof of dependency; or in response to a judicial order or subpoena; or in a bona fide health or safety emergency; or, upon request, to other schools in which the student seeks or intends to enroll; or to the U.S. comptroller general, the secretary of H.E.W., the U.S. commissioner of education, the director of the National Institute of Education, the assistant secretary for education, state educational authorities, or state and local officials where required by state statute adopted before November 19, 1974.

3. The responsible official may release records to university officials who have a legitimate need for the information in order to carry out their responsibilities.

4. All student records are reviewed periodically. Information concerning the frequency of review and expurgation of specific records is available in the Registrar's Office.

5. With certain exceptions, students may review records which pertain directly to them upon request and may obtain a copy of the record at cost, according to the following schedule.

a. Transcript of academic record: $8 per copy.

b. Medical records (Lafene Health Center): no charge to patient for medical purposes. A charge of $10 or $25 to outside parties with patient release.

c. Other records: at cost.

The major exceptions to student review are medical and counseling records. These may be released, however, to other medical or psychological professionals at the written request of the student and may be inspected by the patient at the discretion of the professional staff. Other exceptions are law enforcement records, private notes of staff members, and financial records of parents.

6. A student may waive the right to review a specific record by submitting in writing a statement to this effect to the official responsible for that record. Examples are recommendations for career placement or admission to graduate study.

7. University personnel who have access to student educational records in the course of carrying out their university responsibilities shall not be permitted to release the record to persons outside the university, unless authorized in writing by the student or as required by a court order. Only the official responsible for the records has the authority to release them.

8. All personal educational information about a student released to a third party will be transferred on condition that no one else shall have access to it except with the student's consent. A record is maintained showing who has had access to student records, and this record is open to inspection by the student.

When records may be withheld

In the case of a student who is delinquent in an account with the university, including unpaid traffic or parking violations, or about whom official disciplinary action has been taken, the appropriate university official may request that the student's record not be released. The effect of this action is that transcripts are not released, and registration withheld.

In order for the action to be rescinded, the Registrar's Office must receive authorization from the official who originally requested the action, indicating that the student has met the obligation.

To contest the withholding of a record, a student must attempt to settle the dispute with the official who requested that the record be withheld. If this attempt to resolve the dispute is unsuccessful, the matter may be resolved in accordance with the process described in the following section. Further information concerning this policy can be obtained from the Registrar's Office, 118 Anderson Hall, 785-532-6254.

Review and challenge of records

Upon request to the official listed above, a record covered by the act will be made available within a reasonable time to the student and in no event later than 45 days after the request. Copies are available at the student's expense and explanations and interpretations of the records may be requested from the official in charge.

If the student believes that a particular record or file contains inaccurate or misleading information or is otherwise inappropriate, the university will afford an opportunity for a hearing to challenge the content of the record. Prior to any formal hearing, the official in charge of the record is authorized to attempt, through informal meetings and discussions with the student, to settle the dispute.

If this is unsuccessful, the matter will be referred to the appropriate vice president. If the student is still dissatisfied, a hearing may be requested. The hearing, conducted by a hearing officer appointed by the president, will be held within two weeks. The student will have the opportunity at the hearing to present any relevant evidence, and a decision will be rendered within two weeks after the hearing. If the result does not satisfy the student, he or she may place a statement in the file.


A student who believes the university has not complied with federal law or regulations may send a written complaint to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act Office, Department of Education, 400 Maryland, SW, Washington, DC 20202.


A transcript is a certified, official copy of your permanent academic record.

A transcript picked up in person or sent directly to the student is stamped “issued to student.” Some institutions may not accept an “issued to student” transcript or a faxed transcript.

There is no transcript fee for currently enrolled students. For students who are not currently enrolled, each transcript costs $8, which is to be paid in advance by cash, check, credit card (American Express, MasterCard, Visa, Discover), or money order. K-State at Salina will accept cash, check, or money order.

There is no additional mailing charge if the transcript is sent by regular mail. Priority mailing charge is an additional $5 per envelope. Overnight charge is an additional $15 per envelope. Fax charge is an additional $5 per fax. Mailing and fax charges apply to all students, and are to be paid in advance.

If you are delinquent to the university, transcript services are withheld.

By mail or fax

Send your written request to:

Registrar's Office

Kansas State University

118 Anderson Hall

Manhattan, Kansas 66506-0114

Fax: 785-532-5599


K-State at Salina Registrar's Office

2310 Centennial Road

Salina, KS 67401

Fax: 785-826-2948

Include the following:

 1. Your current name, plus any other name(s) you may have used when attending Kansas State University.

 2. Your student ID number.

 3. Your date of birth.

 4. Your beginning and ending dates of enrollment at K-State.

 5. The number of transcripts you are requesting.

 6. Where each transcript requested is to be sent (please provide an accurate and complete address). If separate sealed envelope is required for the transcript, indicate that in your request.

 7. $8 for each transcript requested, if you are not currently enrolled.

 8. Your original signature.

 9. Your current home address and daytime telephone number.

10. Indicate if you want the transcript held until current semester grades are posted and/or until your degree is posted.

11. Fax requests require an American Express, MasterCard, Visa, or Discover card number and expiration date. Please contact the K-State at Salina Registrar's Office regarding fax requests.

In person

Come to the Registrar's Office (118 Anderson Hall) in Manhattan or College Advancement (208 College Center) in Salina. You must have your K-State student ID or driver's license for identification purposes.

No one else (including your spouse, parent, etc.) may pick up your transcript without your written permission. (If someone else is to pick up your transcript, identify by name the person who is authorized to obtain your transcript and include your original written signature.)

[an error occurred while processing this directive]