[an error occurred while processing this directive] [an error occurred while processing this directive]

Secondary Education

Lawrence C. Scharmann, Chair

Professors Heerman, McGrath, Scharmann, Talab, Wissman, and Wright; Associate Professors Dalida, Goodson, Griffin, Harbstreit, Hortin, Murry, Spears, Stoney, and Yahnke; Assistant Professors Harris, Kim, P. Staver, and Taylor; Instructors Clarke, Kane, and Stone; Courtesy appointments: McFarlin and B. Newhouse; Emeriti: Alexander, Boyer, Byars, Carpenter, Griffith, Jankovich, Laurie, Prawl, Price, Terrass, Wauthier, Welton, and Weimer.

www.educ.ksu.edu/Departments/SecEd/overview.html

The Department of Secondary Education offers a four-year degree program leading to licensure as a secondary school teacher in one or more of the following fields: art, business, English, journalism, mathematics, modern languages, speech, natural sciences, and social science. In addition, the department provides teaching methods courses, field experiences, and secondary education student teaching experiences to serve students in music education. The department also provides similar courses for students in agricultural education and family and consumer sciences education.

Secondary education courses

EDSEC 050. Developmental Reading Laboratory. (3) I, II. Improves the college student's study strategies, comprehension, and time management skills. Pr.: Consent of instructor.

EDSEC 200. Teaching as a Career. (1) I, II. Examines the roles, responsibilities, and dispositions of effective teachers; characteristics of the teaching/learning environment; the design of K-State's teacher education program; ways teachers change during their careers; and self-assessment about the commitment to teaching and preferences to grade levels or subject areas. An overview of the teacher education program is provided, the unit's conceptual framework is discussed, and the portfolio requirements are initiated. The skills of reflection and the dimensions of caring and ethical practice are introduced. Pr.: Conc. enrollment required in EDSEC 230 and sophomore standing.

EDSEC 218. Secondary Teacher Education Colloquium. (1-2) On sufficient demand. Discussion, assigned readings, and lectures over selected trends, developments, and problems in the field of teaching.

EDSEC 230. Early Field Experience. (1) I, II. Includes 40 hours of supervised field experiences examining selected aspects of teaching and the learning environment, including students and learning, content and pedagogy, planning, instruction, and professionalism. Requires written reports, analyses, and reflections for each weekly school visit. Pr.: Requires conc. enrollment in EDSEC 200 and sophomore standing.

EDSEC 250. Scientific Principles of Coaching. (3) II. Physiological, psychological, and kinesiological principles of coaching. Topics include training and conditioning, motivation, psychological factors affecting sport skill in performance, and mechanical principles underlying sport performance. Not for kinesiology majors.

EDSEC 298. Coaching and Officiating Wrestling. (2) On sufficient demand. Study of rules, theory, and practices; methods of coaching. Pr.: EDSEC 250.

EDSEC 299. Coaching and Officiating Swimming. (2) II, in even years. Study of rules, theory, and practices; methods of coaching. Pr.: EDSEC 250.

EDSEC 300. Introduction to Agricultural Education. (1) I, II. Introduction to the program responsibilities, methodology, organization, current trends and issues, and future direction of programs in agricultural education. Students will be actively involved in the discussion and application of course material both in the classroom and in early field experiences conducted as a part of this course.

EDSEC 301. Coaching and Judging Gymnastics. (2) On demand. Study of rules, theory, and practices; methods of coaching. Pr.: EDSEC 250.

EDSEC 302. Coaching and Officiating Basketball. (2) II. Study of rules, theory, and practices; methods of coaching. Pr.: EDSEC 250.

EDSEC 303. Coaching and Umpiring Baseball. (2) I, in even years. Study of rules, theory, and practices; methods of coaching. Pr.: EDSEC 250.

EDSEC 304. Coaching and Officiating Track and Field. (2) II, in odd years. Study of rules, theory, and practices; methods of coaching. Pr.: EDSEC 250.

EDSEC 305. Coaching and Officiating Football. (2) I. Study of rules, theory, and practices; methods of coaching. Pr.: EDSEC 250.

EDSEC 306. Coaching and Officiating Volleyball. (2) I. Study of rules, theory, and practices; methods of coaching. Pr.: EDSEC 250.

EDSEC 309. Coaching and Officiating Tennis and Golf. (2) I, in odd years. Study of rules, theory, and practices; methods of coaching. Pr.: EDSEC 250.

EDSEC 310. Foundations of Education. (3) I, II. Examines the historical, political, philosophical, and sociological foundations of education in the United States including the evolution of career and technical education and changing demographics; ethical and legal issues; governance and financial support; and contemporary curriculum issues. Includes critical thinking and reflective decision making about educational issues. Recommended at the sophomore level. Take prior to or conc. with Block I. Pr.: Prior or conc. enrollment in EDSEC 200.

EDSEC 315. Administrative Data Applications. (3) II. Development of competencies in the usage of integrated software packages as they apply to the automated business environment.

EDSEC 376. Core Teaching Skills: Secondary/Middle. (3) I, II, S. General teaching practices and the opportunity to apply that information in a laboratory setting. Two hours of lec. and two of lab a week. Pr.: Admission to teacher education, EDSEC 200, and FSHS 110. Must be taken conc. with EDCEP 315 and EDSP 323.

EDSEC 400. Leadership and Professional Development in Agricultural Education. (2) I, II. This course provides an introduction to the leadership skills needed in the role of FFA advisor and professional agricultural educator including career, professional, and student leadership development and FFA chapter management.

EDSEC 405. Middle-Level Education. (2) I. This course provides an overview of the characteristics of middle schools; the social, psychological, and physical characteristics of early adolescent development; middle-level curriculum; ways to organize for instruction; and the teacher's role in the guidance of students at the middle level. Pr.: Admission to teacher education.

EDSEC 407. World Wide Web-Based Searching/ Researching. (3) II. The main topics of this course are formulating search strategies; critically evaluating information; using and evaluating major search engines, search tools, and other sources; and assessing the impact of the web on self and society, particularly with regard to how people learn and interact with others in this environment. Pr.: Introductory computer course.

EDSEC 415. Administrative Support Services and Technology. (1) II. Intended to develop subject matter competencies needed for careers in the business office: Computer usage (desktop publishing), uses of various office equipment and procedures, and awareness of computer networking, telecommunication and emerging technology.

EDSEC 455. Teaching in a Multicultural Society. (1) I, II. Application of multicultural understandings to teaching in a multicultural society. Strategies for working effectively with students to achieve educational equity. Pr.: EDCEP 315, EDSP 323, and EDSEC 376. Conc. enrollment required for EDSEC 477, 500, 520, and EDCEP 525.

EDSEC 471. Office Systems and Procedures. (3) I. Develops competencies needed for careers in the business office, evaluates and utilizes automated office systems and procedures, and applies technical knowledge and decision-making skills.

EDSEC 477. Middle Level/Secondary Reading. (2) I, II. Introduction and development of effective study/skilled reading strategies and abilities for learning from content area text material. Pr.: EDCEP 315, EDSP 323, and EDSEC 376. Conc. enrollment required for EDSEC 455, 500, 520, and EDCEP 525.

EDSEC 500. Content Area Methods in the Secondary and Middle Schools. (3) I, II. Principles of teaching applied to content area instruction in the secondary and middle schools; motivation; organization of subject matter; lesson planning; evaluation and reporting; challenging the levels of ability; organization and management of the classroom; methodology and materials of the secondary schools. Pr.: EDCEP 315, EDSP 323, and EDSEC 376. Conc, enrollment required for EDSEC 455, 477, 520, and EDCEP 525.

EDSEC 502. Independent Study in Education. (1-3) I, II, S. Selected topics in professional education. Maximum of 3 hours applicable toward degree requirements. Pr.: Consent of department head.

EDSEC 503. Teaching Adult Classes in Agriculture. (2-3) On sufficient demand. Organization and preparation of materials and methods used in teaching adult classes in vocational education in agriculture for young farmers and adults. Departments are visited for evaluation of programs and results. Pr.: EDSEC 620.

EDSEC 505. Field Experience in Agricultural Education. (2-3) On sufficient demand. A course for prospective teachers to help bridge the gap between classroom theory and student teaching. Emphasis will be on observation of and participation in school and community organizations and programs. Pr.: EDSEC 300 and FSHS 110 and consent of instructor.

EDSEC 510. Occupational Family and Consumer Sciences Education. (2) I. Principles and procedures in planning and organizing family and consumer sciences-related occupational programs. The course includes an approved occupational experience in business/industry and consideration of methods and teaching materials peculiar to these programs. Pr.: FSHS 110.

EDSEC 520. Block II Lab: Content Area Methods and Field Experience. (1) I, II. Field-based experience to help the pre-professional teacher practice the incorporation of specific content area with reading methods in the secondary and middle schools. Pr.: EDCEP 315, EDSP 323, and EDSEC 376. Conc. enrollment required for EDSEC 455, 477, 500, and EDCEP 525.

EDSEC 560. Art for Exceptional Children. (3) II. Use of art courses and activities to meet the needs of the mentally retarded, physically impaired, emotionally disturbed, or gifted child. Three hours lec. Pr.: PSYCH 110. Same as ART 560.

EDSEC 582. Teaching Participation in Music. (8-12) I, II. Observation and teaching under the direction of selected music teachers in elementary, middle level, and secondary school music programs. Pr.: Admission to student teaching.

EDSEC 586. Teaching Participation in the Secondary Schools and Professional Development Seminar. (Var.) I, II. Guided observation, teaching participation, and study of teaching practices under direction of selected teachers in middle/junior and senior high schools. Student teachers will participate in seminar sessions to discuss issues and experiences encountered during this school-based experience. Pr.: EDSEC 477, 500, and 520.

EDSEC 587. Supervised Practicum for Athletic Coaches. (2) I, II. Observation and coaching participation under the direction of selected coaches in public school, club, city recreation, or other nonpublic school sport settings. Pr.: EDSEC 250 and one coaching and officiating course.

EDSEC 611. Coordination Techniques. (1) II. Acquaints students with techniques in selecting, implementing, and coordinating occupational programs between the school and the business community. Pr.: EDSEC 620.

EDSEC 612. Job Analysis. (1) II. Acquaints students with techniques of analyzing jobs and tasks related to occupations. Pr.: EDSEC 620.

EDSEC 614. Laboratory Techniques in Teaching Science. (3) I, II. Rationale for laboratory in secondary school science. The design and implementation of laboratory activities and demonstrations in a high school science program. Pr.: EDSEC 376 or graduate standing.

EDSEC 615. Laboratory and Safety Techniques in Teaching Agriculture. (3) I. The course is designed to provide students with the knowledge and skills necessary to design, organize, and conduct programs in agricultural laboratory instruction in secondary agricultural education programs. Students will gain experiences in the development of laboratory lesson plans, safety and technical demonstrations, student management in a laboratory setting, laboratory design, and laboratory curriculum development. Pr.: Conc. enrollment in EDSEC 520 Block II Lab/Ag.

EDSEC 620. Principles and Philosophy of Career and Technical Education. (2-3) I, II, S. Principles of career and technical education in Kansas and other states and countries; principles and philosophy underlying such education; relation of career and technical education to school objectives and community, state, and national needs. Pr.: EDCEP 315.

EDSEC 621. Program Planning in Career and Technical Education. (2-3) I, II, S. The program development and planning process; development of guides for teaching and evaluating reimbursable secondary programs. Pr.: EDSEC 620.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]