Enter either a:
  • Person's name (faculty, staff, or student)
  • Department name
  • Word to find on a web page

    More Search Options
    K-State Undergraduate Catalog 2004-2006
    About the Catalog
    About the University
    Glossary and Abbreviations
    Academic Advising
    Tuition and Fees
    All-University Regulations
    Student Financial Assistance
    dSatisfactory Academic Progress
    Services for Students
    Auxiliary Services and Facilities
    International Programs
    Secondary Majors
    Architecture, Planning, and Design
    Arts and Sciences
    Business Administration
    Human Ecology
    Technology and Aviation
    Veterinary Medicine
    Graduate School
    Intercollegiate Athletics
    K-State Research and Extension
    University Faculty


    Each year nearly 4,000 Kansas State University undergraduate students receive more than $6.6 million of scholarship assistance based on their academic records, financial need, and/or leadership qualities. Freshmen are encouraged to meet K-State's early application deadline of November 1 of their senior year. All students should meet the final application deadline date of February 1 each year for the following academic year. To apply for K-State scholarships, go to Applications and scholarship information are available from high school counselors, the Office of Student Financial Assistance, and the various colleges at K-State.

    Approximately 5,000 students are assisted through the Federal Pell Grant and the Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant.

    Assistance exceeds $12.8 million. The Free Application For Federal Student Aid is the application for these programs and should be filed by March 1.

    K-State participates in the Federal Family Education Loan Program, the Federal Perkins Loan, and the Health Professions Student Loan Programs. The university also manages three institutional loan programs: the alumni loan, the foundation loan, and the emergency student loan.

    The Federal Family Educational Loan program is comprised of three separate loan types: the subsidized, unsubsidized, and parent loan. The subsidized loan is considered need-based aid, while the unsubsidized loan and PLUS are considered non-need-based aid.

    The interest rates for each of these loan programs are variable and are set on July 1 of each year. The subsidized and unsubsidized loans have a capped interest rate of 8.25 percent, and the PLUS has a cap at 9 percent. The federal government pays the interest on the subsidized loan until the student enters repayment. The student borrower is responsible for the interest on the unsubsidized loan from the time the loan is disbursed until it is paid in full. The parent borrower is responsible for the interest on the PLUS loan from the time the loan is disbursed until it is paid in full.

    Repayment of the subsidized and unsubsidized loans begins six months after the student drops below half-time status. Repayment of the PLUS begins 60 days after the loan has been disbursed in full. The borrower can choose a repayment plan (standard, extended, graduated, or income-contingent) by contacting their lender.

    The Federal Perkins Loan and the Health Professions Student Loan programs have a fixed interest rate of 5 percent. The interest on the loans begins when the student goes into repayment. Repayment on the Perkins Loan begins nine months after enrollment drops below half-time status. Repayment on the HPSL begins one year after enrollment drops below half-time status.

    The alumni loan and the foundation loan charge six percent interest payable annually from the date of the loan, with $50 monthly payments beginning six months after the borrower is no longer a student at K-State. The emergency student loan is a short-term loan available to enrolled students who have exceptional circumstances. The loan must be repaid by the end of the semester in which it was taken.

    Kansas State University provides services for students seeking part-time employment to help offset educational, living, and social expenses. K-State has two categories of jobs: college work-study program jobs and campus payroll jobs. In addition, students are frequently employed in off-campus positions. Available jobs are listed online at

    To be employed on the hourly student payroll, a student must be enrolled in at least 6 resident semester credit hours at K-State during a fall or spring semester, and at least 3 resident semester credit hours at K-State during a summer semester, or have been enrolled in at least 6 resident semester credit hours at K-State during the preceding spring semester.

    Services for veterans
    The university maintains a veterans' service to aid veterans, children, and spouses of deceased or 100 percent disabled veterans from a military services-connected disability or death in securing educational benefits.

    Veterans who entered the military on or after July 1, 1985; have served at least two years; had their pay reduced or contributed $1,200 for education; and received an honorable discharge may be eligible for educational benefits if they are within 10 years from their final discharge date. Veterans who entered the military prior to January 1, 1977; received an honorable discharge; and are less than 10 years from their final discharge date may be eligible without any contribution. Veterans who entered military service between January 1, 1977, and July 1, 1985; have an honorable discharge; and contributed to the GI Bill may also be eligible. Certain conditions or restrictions may apply.

    Montgomery GI Bill—Selected Reserve consisting of reservists and National Guard who have after June 30, 1985, signed a six-year agreement and completed their initial active duty for training; have a high school diploma or GED; and are in good standing in a drilling reserve unit are eligible for educational benefits. Certain restrictions may apply.

    Children of veterans with 100 percent service-connected permanent disability or deceased and identified as service-connected may receive educational benefits until age 26. Spouses have 10 years from the time the veteran was classified with the service-connected condition to be eligible to receive educational benefits. Certain restrictions may apply.

    Information may be obtained from your nearest Veterans' Administration Office or the Office of Student Financial Assistance (Veterans's Office).

    Topics within Student Financial Assistance:
    dPrograms dSatisfactory Academic Progress   
    start of standard bottom bar

    Kansas State University
    August 19, 2005