Enter either a:
  • Person's name (faculty, staff, or student)
  • Department name
  • Word to find on a web page

    More Search Options
  • Supplementary Information


    You must maintain a current local, permanent, and emergency address; you can view/update your own addresses by accessing KATS or by going to the Registrar's Office. You can also maintain a billing address through KATS or by going to the University Cashiers Office (K-State-Salina Business Office).


    Grading options for a course may include: a letter grade only, an A/Pass/F, or Credit/No Credit. Be sure you meet the requirements of your curriculum before requesting the A/Pass/F grading option; consult with your college. Sign up for A/Pass/F during enrollment via KATS or in Enrollment Services by the end of the 28th calendar day for a course 84-90 days in length (12 weeks). Courses less than 84 days in length are prorated. (Permission required for Ag/Arch/Ed/Engr/HE). Obtain the Drop/Add/A-Pass-F forms from the dean’s office.) YOUR DECISION CANNOT BE CHANGED AFTER YOU MAKE IT. See Course Schedule Format for explanation of grading options for a course.


    An instructor may drop a student from any or all components (e.g., lecture, recitation, lab, etc.) of a course if the student is absent at the beginning of the first class period of any component of the course. Students who cannot be in attendance should arrange prior permission from the instructor in order not to be dropped.

    Beginning the 1st calendar day of the semester, an instructor is to notify Enrollment Services (K-Sate-Salina Registrar’s Office) if he/she would like to have a student dropped from a course because of the above policy. Notification must be done by sending a copy of the current course roll sheet, with appropriate name/student ID number marked out, to Enrollment Services 210 Willard Hall (K-State-Salina Registrar’s Office). Submit the roll sheet to Enrollment Services (K-State-Salina Registrar’s Office) as soon as possible and NO LATER THAN the end of the 12th calendar day for a course 84-90 days in length (12 weeks). Courses less than 84 days in length are prorated.


    The University reserves the right to change, add and delete course offerings and to alter, add or cancel course sections without further general notice.


    Courses will be moved to accommodate you. Contact Services for Disabled Students, 202 Holton Hall, for assistance (K-State-Salina, contact Director of College Advancement, 208 College Center).


    Courses offered through DCE are listed with each college and department in the course schedule. Courses with 90000 and above reference numbers are enrolled through the Division of Continuing Education. Enrollment is available online at, by telephone at (785) 532-5566 or 1-800-432-8222, or in 131 College Court Building, 1615 Anderson Ave., Monday through Friday, 8 a.m.-6 p.m. Enrollment in a course offered through the DCE may require prior admission to Kansas State University. Students who choose not to apply for admission to the University will be enrolled in courses as a “special student.”

    Students will be billed for the courses in which they enroll. See for payment information and options.

    Distance Education courses are offered online or through a variety of delivery methods, including Web, videotape, audiotape, guided study, and CD-ROM.
    Intersession Courses are offered between semesters.
    May Intersession 05/15/06– 06/02/06
    August Intersession 07/31/06–08/18/06

    TELENET2 is a statewide videoconferencing system offering university courses.

    UFM/DCE offers many leisure-learning, non-credit classes: One-hour recreational credit classes include: golf, judo, scuba diving, ballroom dance, fly fishing, archery, fencing, and swimming listed under RRES 200, DANCE 599, and WOMST 500. Call UFM at 539-8763.

    For information about courses offered through the Division of Continuing Education, call (785)532-5566 or visit or write 131 College Court Building, 1615 Anderson Ave, Manhattan, KS 66506, or go to the website at (For information abouty courses at K-State-Salina contact: K-State Salina, 2409 Scanlan Ave, Salina, KS 67401, or call 785-826-2633).

    K-State offers an Evening College program on the Manhattan campus. Students wishing to participate in the Evening College program need to be admitted to the University. However, admission will not be required for military students and their dependents.

    For updated information about the K-State Evening College visit the website at

    K-State offers courses on the Fort Riley military base for military and their family members. Courses are usually offered in 8-week sessions. A certificate program in Conflict Resolution is a new program offered. For updated information about K-State courses offered at Fort Riley visit


    In accordance with the Equity in Athletics Disclosure Act, an annual report pertaining to Kansas State University’s athletic programs is available to prospective students, students and to the public in the following locations: Departments of Intercollegiate Athletics, Office of Admissions, Registrar's Office, Dean of Student Life Office, Hale Library. Any questions regarding the Equity in Athletics Disclosure Act should be directed to the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics, Business Office, 142 Bramlage Coliseum, Kansas State University, Manhattan, Kansas, 66506.


    During the semester, students may have two or more evening quizzes that occur at the same time. Priority will be given to the quiz that is part of the student's official class schedule. If no quiz has priority, the student may petition the instructor of the higher numbered course to schedule an alternate time to take the quiz. If the necessary rescheduling cannot be done through the instructors involved, the academic dean will resolve the conflict for quizzes within the same college. If the quizzes are within the jurisdiction of different colleges, decisions regarding rescheduling shall be made by the University Provost.


    If you are a continuing student and want to apply for summer financial aid, the Office of Student Financial Assistance must have your completed 2004-2005 FAFSA on file. Complete and submit the Kansas State University Summer Financial Aid Application (SFAA). You can obtain this application in the Office of Student Financial Assistance or at when enrollment for summer begins on March 28, 2005.

    You must be pre-enrolled for summer before you can submit the application for summer aid. Your eligibility for summer financial aid is dependent on what you received during the Fall 2004 and Spring 2005 Semesters as well as your length of enrollment and number of credit hours enrolled during the summer semester.

    Keep addresses current on KATS or with the Registrar’s Office, 118 Anderson Hall.

    During the summer semester, your aid will be disbursed to your student account when you reach half-time status. Any excess financial aid will be mailed to your local or billing address.


    The priority application date for financial aid at Kansas State University is March 1. You can apply on-line at FAFSA on the Web at

    The priority deadline for scholarships at Kansas State University is February 1, except for incoming freshmen who should apply in the fall (November 1) of their senior year in high school. You can apply on-line at

    The deadline for applying for the State of Kansas Scholarships Grants is May 1. The Kansas Ethnic Minority, Kansas Nursing, State of Kansas Scholar and the Kansas Teaching Scholarships require a State of Kansas Student Aid Application. You can pick up the application in the Office of Student Financial Assistance at 104 Fairchild, or contact the Board of Regents to request an application by calling (785) 296-3517.

    If you have any questions regarding financial assistance, please call toll free at 1-877-817-2287 or (785) 532-6420 for the Manhattan campus or (785) 826-2638 for the Salina campus. Or you can visit us in 104 Fairchild Hall on the Manhattan campus or in 208F College Center on the Salina campus.


    Linear Tuition
    Tuition that increases at a constant rate with each additional credit hour, based on the type of course(s)--undergraduate, graduate, or veterinary medicine, you are enrolled in.
    Campus Privilege Fees
    Charged to all students; fees support student and University services.
    Tuition Surcharge
    Charged by credit hour for courses in the College of Business and the College of Engineering to support the retention and hiring of quality faculty.
    Equipment Fee
    Charged by credit hour for courses in the College of Architecture, Planning & Design and College of Engineering to support the purchase of classroom equipment.
    Late Enrollment Fee
    A $50 Late Enrollment Fee (non-refundable) will be assessed for any student who has not enrolled in a course before the first day of the semester.
    Balance Due
    The sum of linear tuition, campus privilege fees, technology tuition, tuition surcharge and equipment fee.

    The published schedule of tuition/fees is subject to change without general notice; for the description of the required campus privilege fees see or


    Certain courses require that you seek special permission from an instructor. Course permission is needed if an instructor wishes to have a student enroll in a closed course or in a course where permission is required. When enrolling in one of these courses you must present authorization from the instructor either by electronic permission or on a COURSE SECTION PERMIT form.

    Electronic permission is done by the appropriate faculty/staff through KATS or the instructor may obtain the COURSE SECTION PERMIT form from the college dean's office. When using the paper form, the instructor completes the two-part form and gives it to the student; the student then takes the form to Enrollment Services (K-State-Salina Registrar’s Office).


    Kansas State University is in compliance with the Family Educational rights and Privacy Act of 1974, as amended; this law establishes specific guidelines concerning the release of information and the students privilege to inspect and review their own educational records.

    Kansas State University maintains various student records to document academic progress as well as to record interactions with University officials and staff. To protect the student’s rights to privacy, and to conform with federal law (FERPA), the University has established the Student Records Policy. Interpretation of this policy is based on experience with educational records, and the policy itself may subsequently be modified in light of this experience. Notice of this policy and of students’ rights under the federal law is given annually. Copies of this policy are available at the Registrar’s Office, 118 Anderson Hall, and are published in the Undergraduate and Graduate Catalogs.

    Directory Information—Certain information concerning students is considered to be open to the public upon inquiry. This public information is called directory information and includes: name, local address and telephone number, permanent address, e-mail address, date and place of birth, photograph or likeness, college, curriculum, enrollment status (full/part time), classification, dates of attendance at Kansas State University, awards and academic honors, degrees and dates awarded, most recent previous educational institution attended, participation in officially recognized activities and athletic teams, and height and weight of athletes.

    Directory information as defined above will be released upon inquiry, unless the student has requested that this information not be released. The student's request to have directory information withheld must be submitted to Registrar's Office, 118 Anderson (208 College Center, Salina). The Registrar’s Office will notify other appropriate University offices by placing a notation within the student information system.

    Confidential Information—With the exception of the information noted above, students' records are generally considered to be confidential. The following policies govern access to confidential student records:
    1. Each type of student record is the responsibility of a designated University official, and only that person or the Dean, Director, or Vice-President to whom the person reports has authority to release the record. The responsible officials are:

    a. Academic records: for undergraduates, the Registrar, Anderson Hall, 118 Anderson Hall; for graduate students, the Graduate School Office, Fairchild Hall
    b. Admissions records: for undergraduates, the Director of Admissions and Student Financial Assistance, Anderson Hall; for graduate students, the Graduate School Office, Fairchild Hall
    c. Financial aid records: Director of Student Financial Assistance, Fairchild Hall
    d. Business records: Controller's Office, Anderson Hall
    e. Traffic and security records: Head of KSU Police Department, Edwards Hall.
    f. Medical records: Director, Student Health Service, Lafene Health Center
    g. Counseling records: Director University Counseling Services, English/Counseling Services Building
    h . Actions of academic standards committees: College Dean
    i. Academic disciplinary records: Chair, Undergraduate Grievance Committee
    j. Non-academic disciplinary records: Dean of Student Life, Holton Hall
    k. Housing records: Director of Housing, Pittman
    l. Placement records: Director of Career and Employment Services, Holtz Hall
    m. Evaluations for admission to graduate or professional programs: Dean (of the Graduate School or the appropriate college) or Department Head
    n. Special academic programs: Faculty member in charge of the program and Dean of the College
    o. Foreign student records: Foreign student advisor, International Student Center
    p. Test scores for College Level Examination Program (CLEP), American College Testing Program (ACT), Miller Analogies Test (MAT), etc.: Director of Academic Assistance Center, Holton Hall

    2. Confidential educational records and personally identifiable information from those records will not be released without the written consent of the student involved, except to other University personnel, or in connection with the student's application for financial aid; or by submitting proof of dependency; or in response to a judicial order or subpoena; or in a bona fide health or safety emergency; or, upon request, to other schools in which the student seeks or intends to enroll; or to the U.S. Comptroller General, the Secretary of HEW, the U.S. Commissioner of Education, the Director of the National Institute of Education, the Assistant Secretary of Education, state educational authorities, or state and local officials where required by state statute adopted before November 19, 1974.
    3. The responsible official may release records to University officials who have a legitimate need for the information in order to carry out their responsibilities. University officials are those officials who act in the student’s educational interest within the limitations of their “need to know.” University officials include the following: faculty, administrators, clerical, professional employees, and students serving on university committees or as university student-employees.
    4. All student records are reviewed periodically. Information concerning the frequency of review and expurgation of specific records is available in the Registrar's Office.
    5. With certain exceptions, students may review records which pertain directly to them upon request and may obtain a copy of the record at cost, according to the following schedule:

    a. Transcript of academic record - $8.00 per copy
    b. Medical records (Lafene Health Center) - no charge to patient for medical purposes. A copy charge is assessed to certain outside parties with patient release.
    c. Other records – at cost. The major exceptions to student review are medical and counseling records. These may be released, however, to other medical or psychological professionals at the written request of the student; and may be inspected by the patient at the discretion of the professional staff. Other exceptions are law enforcement records, private notes of staff members, and financial records of parents.

    6. A student may waive the right to review a specific record by submitting in writing a statement to this effect to the official responsible for that record. Examples are recommendations for career placement or admission to graduate study.
    7. University personnel who have access to student educational records in the course of carrying out their University responsibilities shall not be permitted to release the record to persons outside the University, unless authorized in writing by the student or as required by a court order. Only the official responsible for the records has the authority to release them.
    8. All personal educational information about a student released to a third party will be transferred on condition that no one else shall have access to it except with the student's consent. A record is maintained showing who has had access to student records, and this record is open to inspection by the student.

    When Records May Be Withheld—The appropriate University official may request that the student’s record not be released in the case the student has a delinquency in an account with the University, including unpaid traffic or parking violations, or if official disciplinary action has been taken. The effect of this action is that transcripts are not released, and enrollment is withheld. In order for the action to be rescinded, the Registrar's Office must receive authorization from the official who originally requested the action, indicating that the student has met the obligation. To contest the withholding of a record, a student must attempt to settle the dispute with the official who requested that the record be withheld. If this attempt to resolve the dispute is unsuccessful, the matter may be resolved in accordance with the process described in the following section. Further information concerning this policy can be obtained from the Registrar's Office, 118 Anderson Hall, (785)532-6254, (208 College Center, (785)826-2607).

    Review & Challenge of Records—Upon request to the official listed above a record covered by the FERPA will be made available within a reasonable time to the student and in no event later than 45 days after the request. Copies are available at the student's expense and explanations and interpretations of the records may be requested from the official in charge. If the student believes that a particular record or file contains inaccurate or misleading information or is otherwise inappropriate, the University will afford an opportunity for a hearing to challenge the content of the record. Prior to any formal hearing, the official in charge of the record is authorized to attempt, through informal meetings and discussions with the student, to settle the dispute. If this is unsuccessful, the matter will be referred to the appropriate vice-president. If the student is still dissatisfied, a hearing may be requested. The hearing, conducted by a hearing officer appointed by the President, will be held within two weeks. The student will have the opportunity at the hearing to present any relevant evidence, and a decision will be rendered within two weeks after the hearing. If the result does not satisfy the student, he or she may place a statement in the file.

    Complaints—A student who believes the University has not complied with FERPA or regulations may send a written complaint to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act Office, Department of Education, 400 Maryland SW, Washington, DC 20202.


    A copy of the regulations and administrative guidelines governing the classification of residents and nonresidents for admission and tuition purposes is available in the Admissions Office, Graduate School Office or the Registrar's Office (K-State-Salina Admissions or Registrar's Office).


    The Kansas Board of Regents provides that Kansas residents over the age 60 may attend courses at the Regents' institutions on a space available, no credit, no tuition basis.


    The statement indicates the current amount due at time of its printing. Access KATS to view your current amount due.


    Public Law 101-542, more commonly known as the Student Right-To-Know and Campus Security Act, requires that institutions of higher education provide information on their graduation rates currently enrolled and prospective students.

    Of the new freshman entering Kansas State University in the fall of 1999 56% had graduated and 4% were still enrolled at the end of six academic years, yielding a graduation/persistence rate of 60% after six years. Additionally, it is estimated that over 5% transferred to other four-year colleges or universities to pursue professional degrees or curricula not offered at Kansas State University. Of even greater interest to students and prospective students should be the graduation/persistence rates of specific sub-groups of entering freshman. Students’ high school backgrounds and achievements are strong predictors of college success. Seventy-eight percent of those entering freshman who report high school grade point averages of 3.50 or higher either graduate or remain enrolled after six years. Sixty-nine percent of those who report a 3.00 average or better in high school graduate or remain enrolled after six years. For all students reporting a high school average of 2.50 or higher, the graduation/persistence rate is 65%. Seventy-four percent of entering students who rank in the top quarter of their high school class graduate or remain enrolled after six years. Sixty-six percent of those in the top half persist. Sixty-eight percent of entering students who report completion of a college preparatory curriculum or the Regents’ Recommended Curriculum either graduate or remain enrolled and are successfully pursuing their degrees at Kansas State University after six years. The ACT remains a strong predictor of college success. After six years, 71% of Kansas State freshman who enter with above average ACT scores either graduate or are still enrolled after six years. High school size seems to matter very little. For students reporting graduation class sizes of less than 100 students, 65% graduate or are still enrolled after six years. The corresponding rate for high school graduation classes of over 400 is 66%.

    Retention rates are also important to any student in the process of selecting a college or university. Freshman-to-sophomore year retention rates are critical importance since over one half of all students who drop out of college do so prior to the sophomore year. Again focusing upon the fall 1999 entering freshman class at Kansas State University, 75% returned for their second year. This compares to an ACT reported average of 73% for institutions of similar mission and admission standards (ACT, 2003). Like graduation rates, retention rates vary among various sub-groups of students. Of the fall 1999 entering freshman, 83% of those having above average ACT scores returned for their sophomore year. Ninety percent of those with scores above 30 returned. Similar positive trends hold for high school rank, high school grade point average, college preparatory curricula, etc.

    For additional information, contact Michael Lynch, Associate Vice President for Institutional Advancement, Kansas State University, Manhattan, Kansas 66506.


    The following Substance Abuse Prevention Policy is effective August 27, 1990, and is adopted pursuant to the requirements of the Drug-Free Schools and Communities Act Amendments of 1989 and the Drug-Free Workplace Act of 1988. A copy of the Drug Prevention Policy will be distributed annually to each student and employee of Kansas State University.
    1. Kansas State University prohibits the unlawful possession, use, manufacture, or distribution of alcohol or controlled substances by students and employees on property controlled by the University, or as part of University activities. The University is committed to a program to prevent the illegal use of controlled substances and alcohol by students and employees.
    2. Any student or employee of the University found to be using, possessing, manufacturing, or distributing controlled substances or alcohol in violation of the law on University property or at University events will be subject to disciplinary action in accordance with applicable policies of the State of Kansas, the Board of Regents, and Kansas State University. Disciplinary action includes, but is not limited to, expulsion, termination of employment, referral for prosecution and the completion of an appropriate substance abuse rehabilitation program.
    3. As a condition of employment, all employees of Kansas State University, including student employees, shall abide by the terms of this policy statement and will notify the Provost of any criminal drug statute conviction for a violation occurring on property controlled by the University, no later than five days after such conviction. Kansas State University will, in turn notify, as appropriate, the applicable federal agency of the conviction within ten (10) days of its receipt of notification of the conviction. The University will take appropriate disciplinary action within thirty (30) days of notification of the conviction. For purposes of this policy, "conviction" means a finding of guilt (including a plea of nolo contendere) or imposition of sentence, or both, by any judicial body charged with the responsibility to determine violations of the Federal of State criminal drug statutes.
    4. The term "controlled substances" as used in this policy means those substances included in Schedules I through V of section 202 of the Controlled Substances Act and as further defined by regulation at 21 CFR 1300.11 through 1300.15. The term does not include the use of a controlled substance pursuant to a valid prescription or other uses authorized by law.
    5. Local, state and federal laws provide for a variety of legal sanctions and penalties for the unlawful possession, use or distribution of illicit drugs and alcohol. The Federal Controlled Substances Act provides penalties of up to 15 years' imprisonment and fines up to $25,000 for unlawful distribution or possession with the intent to distribute narcotics. For unlawful possession of a controlled substance, a person is subject to up to one year of imprisonment and fines up to $5,000. Any person who
    unlawfully distributes a controlled substance to a person under twenty-one years of age may be punished by up to twice the term of imprisonment and fine otherwise authorized by law. Kansas law provides that any person who violates the criminal statutes on controlled substances by possessing, offering for sale, distributing, or manufacturing opiates and narcotics, such as cocaine and heroin, shall be guilty of a Class C felony. For a conviction of a Class C felony, the court may sentence a person to a term of imprisonment of a minimum of three to five years, a maximum of 10 to 20 years, and a fine of up to $15,000. Unlawful possession of a depressant, stimulant or hallucinogenic drugs is punishable as a Class A misdemeanor, with a penalty of up to a year in jail and a fine of $2,500. Under Kansas law, persons under 21 years of age may be subject to minimum fines of $100 for possessing, consuming, obtaining, purchasing or attempting to obtain or purchase alcoholic liquor or cereal malt beverages. Persons convicted of driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs are subject to severe fines, imprisonment, and other penalties. The local ordinances of Manhattan, Kansas, also include prohibitions relating to illicit drugs and alcohol. Generally, these local ordinances are similar in content to state law.
    6. Students and employees of Kansas State University should be aware that the following health risks have been associated with the use of illicit drugs and the abuse of alcohol:
    Alcohol: Birth defects, ulcers and gastritis, liver damage, heart disease, cancer and brain damage. Anabolic Steroids: Acne, cancer, heart disease, liver disease, sterility, jaundice, and kidney stones. Cocaine/Stimulants: Increased blood pressure, blurred vision, sleeplessness, anxiety, irregular heartbeat, and death.
    Hallucinogens: Increased body temperature, increased heart rate and blood pressure, sleeplessness and tremors.
    Marijuana: Irritation of the lungs, emphysema, increased heart rate, short-term memory reduced, and cancer.
    Opiates/Narcotics: Decreased heart rate, nausea, cold, moist skin, bluish in color, and slowed breathing.
    Sedatives: Slowed body function, drowsiness, convulsions, and coma. Students and employees should note that the above listing is not intended as all-inclusive.
    7. Drug and alcohol counseling, treatment or re-entry programs are available to students and employees on a national, statewide, local and campus basis. Alcohol and drug counseling are available to students at KSU Counseling Services in English/Counseling Services Building (532-6927). The Alcohol and Other Drug Education Service (532-6927) can provide further information about health problems and treatment related to alcohol and drug use. Employees may seek referral for alcohol and drug problems through the KSU Employee Assistance Program (532-6277) or through the State of Kansas Lifeline Program, a 24-hour toll-free assistance line (1-800-284-7575). Other sources of assistance include the Kansas Addiction and Prevention Services (785-296-6807), and the National Institute on Drug Abuse Hot Line (1-800-662-4357). Kansas State University will also present educational programs on an ongoing basis to inform employees and students of the dangers of substance abuse.


    If you have a hold attached to your records by an office within the university, you cannot enroll, (drop or add a course), or request a transcript, or receive your diploma until the hold has been cleared.










    start of standard bottom bar

    Kansas State University
    February 17, 2006