[an error occurred while processing this directive] [an error occurred while processing this directive]
  1. K-State Home >
  2. Academics >
  3. Undergraduate Catalog 2006-2008 >
  4. Arts and Sciences >
  5. Dean of Arts and Sciences Courses

Dean of Arts and Sciences Courses

DAS 001. Clinical Laboratory Science (Medical Technology). (Var.) I, II, S. Enrollment in this course allows students attending a hospital-based clinical program to complete the 30 credit hours of clinical work required for the bachelor's degree in clinical laboratory science (medical technology). Pr.: Completion of the 90 credit hours of undergraduate course work required for the clinical laboratory science (medical technology) degree.

University General Education courseDAS 100. Freshman Seminar. (3) I. An introduction to the intellectual and cultural life of the university.

DAS 102. Practicum in Student Governance. (0-1) I, II, S.

DAS 110. Introduction to the Honors Program in Arts and Sciences. (1) I. Direction and goals for the honors program in the College of Arts and Sciences.

DAS 115. Orientation to Health Careers. (1) I. Acquaints students whose career goals are in the health professions with the variety of options available and with the corresponding academic requirements. Discussion covers an introduction to the personal responsibilities that health-care workers assume and the impact of social and economic problems on our health-care delivery system. Includes an orientation to general requirements for success as a student at K-State and in professional health related programs.

DAS 135. Special Studies in English. (1-12) I, II, S. Topics include: reading, oral communication, or written communication.

DAS 136. Beginning English I. (1-18) I, II. Topics include: reading, listening, speaking, written communication, or oral communication.

DAS 138. Beginning English II. (1-18) I, II. Topics include: reading, listening, speaking, written communication, or oral communication.

DAS 140. Intermediate English I. (1-18) I, II. Topics include: reading, listening, speaking, written communication, or oral communication.

DAS 150. Intermediate English II. (1-18) I, II. Topics include: reading, listening, speaking, written communication, or oral communication.

DAS 152. Advanced English. (1-18) I, II. Topics include: reading, listening, speaking, written communication, or oral communication.

DAS 167. Basic Grammar in Writing. (3) I, II. Review of basic English grammar; practice of basic grammar in writing; review of grammar usage in academic writing; practice in proofreading and editing of work. Pr.: Permission by the English Language Program.

DAS 176. Reading Skills for Non-Native Speakers of English. (3) I, II. An advanced course designed to improve reading skills and increase academic vocabulary of non-native speakers of English engaged in academic classes.

DAS 177. Written Communication for Non-Native Speakers of English. (3) I, II, S. Instruction in academic reading and writing skills in order to develop reading skills, increase reading speed, and improve writing of reports, analyses, and summaries. Includes grammar review, the study of style, and development of an academic vocabulary. Pr.: Permission by the English Language Program.

DAS 178. Oral Communication for Non-Native Speakers of English. (3) I, II, S. Instruction to improve listening, comprehension, and note-taking skills. Instruction in conversational speaking, with an emphasis on developing oral fluency and the effective use of vocabulary and idioms. Includes pronunciation practice, group work, and short academic presentations. Pr.: Permission by the English Language Program.

DAS 179. Pronunciation and Speaking Skills for Non-Native Speakers of English. (2-3) I, II. Introduction in speaking for non-native speakers of English to improve comprehension of non-simplified conversational English. Practice in asking for clarification, responding appropriately to requests, and encouraging interaction, as well as the pronunciation of troublesome English sounds and intonation patterns. Also brief introduction to American culture, especially the American educational system. Pr.: Placement by the English Language Program.

DAS 181. Advanced Integrated Skills. (3) I, II. An advanced, combined-skills course to improve the reading, writing, and speaking skills of non-native speakers of English.

DAS 182. Introduction to American Academic Research Writing for International Students. (1) I, II, S. Introduction to American conventions of research paper writing with emphasis on American academic standards. Pr.: Permission by the English Language Program.

DAS 183. Introduction to American Academic Presentation for International Students. (1) I, II, S. Introduction to American rhetorical patterns of academic speaking, focusing specifically on deductive and inductive organization patterns and expectations of American audiences. Pr.: Permission by the English Language Program.

DAS 184. Practical Training in ESL. (1-2) I, II. Introduction to practical classroom skills for the non-education major planning to teach ESL abroad as part of a study abroad or internship abroad experience. Pr.: Permission by the English Language Program.

DAS 185. Teaching and Cultural Orientation for International Teaching Assistants. (3) I, II, S. Introduction to American undergraduate education, American culture, and university policies. Discussion of effective teaching techniques, nonverbal language, and coping techniques. Practice focusing on pronunciation, vocabulary, grammar, and interactive speaking skills. Individual tutorials based on video-taped teaching presentations. Pr.: Permission by English Language Program.

DAS 186. Orientation to the American Higher Education System. (1-3) I. II. S. An introduction to the American education system in general, and K-State specifically, and the study skills needed to be a successful student. Topics include note-taking, critical reading, and test-taking skills. In addition, students will be introduced to American attitudes toward time, social relationships, language, communication styles, and thought processes with the aim of facilitating adaptation to the new environment. Pr.: Permission by the English Language Program.

DAS 187. Exploration of American Culture. (3) I, II. This course explores America and the impressions that international students may have about American society and customs. Students will further their experience of American culture through readings, lectures, and films, allowing them to integrate and interpret their experiences inside and outside of the classroom during their stay here. Pr.: ENGL086, AMETH 160, or instructor permission.

DAS 199. Selected Topics. (2) I, II, S.

DAS 240. Practicum in Pre-Health. (1) I, II, S. Forty hours spent observing the practice of dentistry, medicine, or optometry. Students are under the supervision and direction of individual dentists, physicians, or optometrists. Pr.: Sophomore standing, permission of the health professions advisor.

DAS 333. Origins: Humanity, Life, and the Universe. (3) An interdisciplinary general education course that conveys to undergraduates, at a nontechnical level, how scholars in the sciences and humanities look at some of the deepest questions that mankind can ask. How did the universe begin? How did life begin? What about humans and human culture?

DAS 350. Topics in the Humanities (Study Abroad). (Var.) I. This is an umbrella course for numerous individual courses offered to students in the humanities in Italy program and other study abroad experiences. Pr.: Permission of the director of the individual study abroad experience.

DAS 388. Honors Internship. (1-3) I, II, S. A scholarly investigation related to activities in a place of employment or in a volunteer situation. Written and oral presentations are required. Pr.: Concurrence of a faculty advisor and approval of the arts and sciences honor program advisory council.

DAS 401. Clinical Microbiology. (6-8) II. The theory and laboratory study of pathogenic bacteria, viruses, richettsiae, fungi, and parasites. Includes morphology, physiology, taxonomy, and medical significance.

DAS 402. Clinical Chemistry. (6-8) I. Theory and laboratory study of analytical biochemistry, incorporating both routine and special chemical procedures.

DAS 403. Clinical Hematology. (4-6) S. Study of blood cell derivation, maturation, and function, principles of hemastasis, and blood coagulation. Methodology used in routine and special hematology studies.

DAS 404. Clinical Immunology. (2-6) I. Immunohematology, the study of fundamentals of antigen-antibody reactions, blood groups and types, crossmatches, blood components, and the laboratory methods used in immunohematology studies; and serology, the theory of immunologic responses and procedures used in determination of serological studies.

DAS 405. Topics in Clinical Laboratory Science (Medical Technology). (3-6) II. Basic principles and practices of the medical laboratory, techniques and special projects.

DAS 407. Senior Research in Latin American Studies. (3) I, II, S.

DAS 425. Senior Research in International Studies. (3) I, II. A research paper or project on an international topic. Pr.: Completion of 15 hours of course work in international studies secondary major.

University General Education courseDAS 450. Honors Colloquium. (3) An interdisciplinary colloquium in which topics vary by semester. Consistently incorporates perspectives from more than one discipline and area among the arts, humanities, social sciences, and sciences. Pr.: Membership in the honors program; one honors course in addition to introduction to the honors program in the College of Arts and Sciences.

DAS 499. Physical Sciences Senior Report. (1) I, II. Individual exploration of an area of physical sciences culminating in a final formal written report. Capstone course required of physical sciences interdisciplinary major. Pr.: Permission of physical sciences advisor.

DAS 550. Advanced Topics in the Humanities (Study Abroad). (Var.) II. This is an umbrella course for numerous individual courses offered to students in the Humanities in Italy program and other study abroad experiences. Pr.: Permission of the director of the individual study abroad experience.

University General Education courseDAS 582. Natural Resources/Environmental Sciences Project (NRES). (3) I, II. A comprehensive project in NRES. Requires integration of information and understanding acquired in NRES secondary major courses. Students must prepare and present written and oral reports. Three hours rec. a week. Pr.: All writing and oral communications courses required for major. Pr. or conc.: 15 hours of approved courses in NRES secondary major. Cross-listed with GENAG 582 and DEN 582.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]