courses/catalog/undergraduate/ugrad2004Home
courses/catalog/undergraduate/ugrad2004
Enter either a:
  • Person's name (faculty, staff, or student)
  • Department name
  • Word to find on a web page

More Search Options
  •  
    K-State Undergraduate Catalog 2004-2006
    About the Catalog
    About the University
    Calendar
    Glossary and Abbreviations
    Admission
    Academic Advising
    Enrollment
    Tuition and Fees
    Degrees
    Grades
    All-University Regulations
    Student Financial Assistance
    Services for Students
    Auxiliary Services and Facilities
    International Programs
    Secondary Majors
    Agriculture
    Architecture, Planning, and Design
    dAdmission Policies and Procedures
    dUniversity General Education
    dAdditional Information
    dEnvironmental Design Studies
    dArchitecture
    dInterior Architecture and Product Design
    dLandscape Architecture and Regional and Community Planning
    Arts and Sciences
    Business Administration
    Education
    Engineering
    Human Ecology
    Technology and Aviation
    Veterinary Medicine
    Graduate School
    Intercollegiate Athletics
    K-State Research and Extension
    Outreach
    University Faculty

Interior Architecture and Product Design

Stephen M. Murphy, Head
    Judy Roland, Academic Advisor/ Administrative Assistant

Professors Dubois, Hastings, Haycock, and Murphy; Associate Professors Borchers, Brown, Bullock, Husseini, Owens-Wilson, Thompson, and Troyer; Assistant Professors Davidson, Hubbell, and Lewis; Emeritus Professor Durgan; Adjunct Professors Pauli Barucchieri, Castiglion Fiorentino, Italy; Franz Putschogl, Frank Sander, and Klaus Steinman, Trier, Germany.

www.arch.ksu.edu/iar

The bachelor of interior architecture program consists of a four-year course of study following the one-year environmental design studies program. The department's five-year program is one of the first curricula in this profession to be recognized and accredited by the Foundation for Interior Design Education Research in the United States. The Department of Interior Architecture's professional program is also accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design.

The curriculum is structured for students who plan a professional career in space planning in commercial, institutional, and industrial interior design. The learning experience is gained through the focus placed upon the departments's educational programs in interior architectural space planning, furniture, and product design. After an introduction to basic interior space planning, students undertake studio exercises that include programming and designing of spaces. Special emphasis is placed on spatial organization, behavior analysis, space component design, furniture design and construction, product and exhibit design, the integration of environmental systems, building rehabilitation, and the preparation of working drawings and contract documents.

Computers in the studio
    The department provides a supportive and integrated studio beginning with the fifth semester, when students can bring in their own CAD-capable computers. The department provides cabinets, peripheral equipment, and a secure environment with updated electrical and data connections. Use of the computer and appropriate software is integrated into all the departmental courses from this point on. Computers are the tool of choice in today's design offices, and the department strives to fully educate its students on their uses.

Internship program
    A 30-week, full-time, paid internship is an available option for the spring semester of the fourth year. Students may apply their skills in a professional design environment while receiving 14 hours credit.

Foreign study program
    During their fourth year, interior architecture students may participate in the semester long exchange program between K-State and the interior architecture program at Trier, Germany. This program is on a space-available basis only. Other foreign studies options exist with the college's Italian studies program; the university's student exchange program with Prague, in the Czech Republic; and with several universities in Australia. The Italian program allows students from the three professional programs to participate in an invaluable learning experience at Santa Chiara. These foreign studies options can be taken as an alternative to the internship program or remaining at K-State for the semester. Students may earn 15 hours of credit while overseas.

General education philosophy
    The responsibilities of the interior architect/ designer encompass all spaces within environments built for human habitation. Our goal is to develop creative professionals who can synthesize information and analyze problems from many perspectives. New technologies affect the skills and knowledge required for designers.

The best preparation for the future is an education that will enable graduates to adapt to a changing world. Adaptation to change requires that the graduate draw on history and on experience of many cultures and apply the theories of empirical investigation. A sound curriculum for professional interior architectural education balances the broad cultural aspects of education and the specialized practical content integral to the profession.

Interior architecture and product design program
    150 IAPD

Total hours required for graduation—160

For the curriculum requirements for the first two semesters, see Environmental Design Studies, earlier in this section.

Third semester
    IAPD 301Interior Architecture Design Studio I4
    IAPD 304Interior Architecture Design Studio I Lecture1
    IAPD 248Building Science3
    IAPD 430Visual Communication2
    ARCH 348Structural Systems in Architecture I3
    ARCH 350History of Design Environment II3
    16
    Fourth semester
    IAPD 302Interior Architecture Design Studio II4
    IAPD 305Interior Architecture Design Studio II Lecture1
    IAPD 416History of Furniture3
    ARCH 413Environmental Systems in Architecture I4
    ARCH 449Structural Systems in Architecture II3
    IAPD 390The Contemporary Interior2
    17
    Fifth semester
    IAPD 404Interior Architecture Design Studio III4
    IAPD 405Interior Architecture Design Studio III Lecture1
    IAPD 409Materials and Finishes2
    IAPD 410Interior Architecture Microcomputers2
    ARCH 433Building Construction Systems in Architecture I3
    University general education elective3
    17
    or
    IAPD 400Product Design Studio I Lecture1
    IAPD 403Product Design Studio I3
    IAPD 409Materials and Finishes3
    IAPD 410Interior Architecture Microcomputer3
    IAPD 455Product Design Illustration1
    IAPD 456Theory of Product Design2
    16
    Sixth semester
    IAPD 403Product Design Studio I3
    IAPD 407Design Workshop I3
    IAPD 412Design Workshop I Studio1
    IAPD 455Product Design Illustration1
    IAPD 456Theory of Product Design2
    ARCH 514Environmental Systems in Architecture II3
    ARCH 434Building Construction Systems in Architecture II3
    17
    or
    IAPD 404Interior Architecture Design Studio III Lecture1
    IAPD 407Design Workshop I3
    IAPD 412Design Workshop I Studio1
    Restrictive electives5
    17
    Seventh semester
    IAPD 600Interior Architecture Design Studio IV Lecture1
    IAPD 602Interior Architecture Design Studio IV4
    IAPD 608Design Workshop II3
    IAPD 614Design Workshop II Studio1
    IAPD 622Building Construction Systems in Interior Archiecture2
    ARCH 515Environmental Systems in Architecture III3
    ENGL 200Expository Writing II3
    17
    Eighth semester
    IAPD 606Interior Architecture Design Studio V4
    IAPD 607Interior Architecture Design Studio V Lecture1
    University general education elective6
    Free electives3
    14
    or
    IAPD 644Interior Architecture Internship11
    IAPD 645Interior Architecture Internship Report3
    14
    or
    IAPD 646Interior Architecture Foreign Studies11
    IAPD 647Interior Architecture Foreign Report3
    14
    Ninth semester
    IAPD 705Interior Architecture Design Studio VI4
    IAPD 708Interior Architecture Design Studio VI Lecture1
    IAPD 713Furniture Design Workshop Studio1
    IAPD 714Furniture Design Workshop3
    Restrictive electives5
    University general education elective3
    17
    or
    IAPD 706Product Design Studio II4
    IAPD 707Product Design Studio II Lecture1
    IAPD 714Furniture Design Workshop3
    Restrictive electives5
    University general education electives3
    17
    Tenth semester
    IAPD 706Product Design Studio II4
    IAPD 753Professional Practice3
    Restrictive electives4
    University general education electives3
    15
    or
    IAPD 753Professional Practice3
    Restrictive elective4
    University general education elective3
    15
    Interior architecture courses
    Undergraduate credit
    IAPD 248. Building Science. (3) I. Instruction in the materials of building and landscape design; sources, characteristics, and uses in design and construction; emphasis on valuation and selection. Two lec. and one rec. per week. Pr.: Second-year standing and PHYS 115 or 113.

IAPD 301. Interior Architecture Design Studio I. (3) I. Design vocabulary, abstract design, form and space generation, use of light and color theory, application of design process, idea generation, creativity, and diagraming are all general topics that underpin the second year. These concepts are necessary to reinforce graphic development, typography, presentation, and layout carried over from previous semesters. Projects that utilize these topics will include an introduction to human scale and anthropometries, perspective as applied to small scale spaces, environmental analysis, and introduction to structure in design. Pr.: DSFN 202 and admission to professional program in interior architecture.

IAPD 302. Interior Architecture Design Studio II. (3) II. Continuation of topics covered in previous semesters will allow for more proficiency through multiple projects that include signage, model building, rendering and color media presentations, indoor-outdoor site relationships, continuation of environmental studies, contextual issues, various architectonic scales, and analysis of product types with linkages to lighting design and building systems. Pr.: IAPD 301.

IAPD 303. Interior Architecture Design Studio IA. (6) I. This course integrates material from Environmental Design Studio I and II with ADS I, IAPD I, LADS I. Twelve hours of studio a week. Pr.: For transfer students; 9 or more credit hours of graphics, design, and freehand drawing and admission to a department in the College of Architecture, Planning, and Design.

IAPD 304. Interior Architecture Design Studio I Lecture. (1) I. Lecture component taken concurrently with IAPD 301 Design Studio I. See IAPD 301 for course description.

IAPD 305. Interior Architecture Design Studio II Lecture. (1) II. Lecture component taken concurrently with IAPD 302 Design Studio II. See IAPD 302 for course description.

IAPD 390. The Contemporary Interior: Ideas and Examples. (2) II. A visual survey of selected works of current interior architecture, which illustrate principles and practical concerns that motivate design. Required of interior architecture as a prerequisite for IAPD 404, but open to nonmajors from any discipline.

IAPD 400. Product Design Studio I Lecture. (1) I, II. Lecture component taken concurrently with IAPD 403 Product Design Studio I. See IAPD 403 for course description.

IAPD 403. Product Design Studio I. (3) I, II. Analysis, synthesis, and design of various types of products associated with the interior environment, integrating such human factor determinants as anthropometries and ergonomics. Construction of prototype products associated with the human environment developed concurrently within the design studio. Pr.: IAPD 202; not more than one D in an interior architecture design studio course.

IAPD 404. Interior Architecture Design Studio III. (4) I, II. This course will build upon and extend the knowledge and skill base gained by students in studios I and II. This course will include the introduction of programming methodology and its relationship to the design and organization of interior space. Emphasis will be placed on the appropriate selection of furniture, finishes, fixtures, and equipment within the context of their relationships to form, function, task, and users' needs. Pr.: IAPD 202; not more than one D in an interior architecture design studio course.

IAPD 405. Interior Architecture Design Studio III Lecture. (1) I, II. Lecture component taken concurrently with IAPD 404 Design Studio III. See IAPD 404 for course description.

IAPD 406. Problems in Interior Architecture. (Var.) I, II. Study of specific interior architectural problems under direct supervision of a member of the department. Pr.: Approval of instructor.

IAPD 407. Design Workshop I. (3) II. An introduction to shop procedures, equipment, design materials, joinery, and elementary design experiences in turning and shaping various materials. This course provides the student the opportunity through a series of small projects exposure to the total creative design process by researching, designing, constructing, and evaluating finished products. Pr.: Admission to the professional program of interior architecture.

IAPD 409. Materials and Finishes. (2) I. Introduction to materials and finishes specific to interior applications. Criteria for evaluation, selection, and application of interior materials and finishes with the building fabric and their impact on building design. Preparation of written and graphic communications to illustrate and direct the construction process. Two hours lec. a week. Pr.: Admission to the professional program in interior architecture.

IAPD 410. Interior Architecture Microcomputer Applications. (2) I. Instruction in microcomputer operating procedure, general terminology, programming concepts for microcomputer, and use of appropriate word-processing specification writing and computer-aided design software as it relates to the interior architecture profession. Four hours lab a week. Pr.: Enrollment in the interior architecture program.

IAPD 411. Drawing in Black and White. (3) II. Freehand representational drawing of architectonic space using graphite pencil and ink pen. Emphasis is on the development of the visual perception of space and the communication of the perceived space through drawings that are clear and expressive. Pr.: Third-year standing.

IAPD 412. Design Workshop I Studio. (1) I. Studio component taken concurrently with IAPD 407 Design Workshop I. See IAPD 407 for course description.

IAPD 416. History of Furniture. (2) II. Analysis of the social, political, and religious influences on product and furniture design in Italy, France, and England from early renaissance through the 18th century. Pr.: Admission to the professional program in architecture, interior architecture, or landscape architecture.

IAPD 420. Theory of Furniture Design. (2) I. Design theory related to analysis, materials, and construction techniques from the early American period through the contemporary movement. Pr.: Admission to the professional program in architecture, interior architecture, or landscape architecture.

IAPD 430. Visual Communication. (2) I. Students will be challenged to visualize and communicate in a three-dimensional language using constructed perspective, computer generated perspective with rendering and animation techniques, and constructed models as tools of the profession. Rapid graphic visual techniques using various medias will be studied enabling quick exploration of multiple design options in a spatial environment. Graphic arts including photography, typesetting, silk screening and reproduction as applied to board presentations will be introduced. Throughout the entire semester the study of color theory and its application will be used in all presentations. Pr.: Admission to the professional program of interior architecture.

IAPD 455. Product Design Illustration. (1) I, II. Exercises in various rendering techniques and involvement in different media presentations associated with product design. Pr.: IAPD 420.

IAPD 456. Theory of Product Design. (2) I. History and design theory related to analysis materials and construction in product design. Pr.: IAPD 420

IAPD 520. Design Graphics Workshop. (3) II. A course in the use of colored pencils to render and present form and space using different techniques. Emphasis on the visual perception and composition of elements in design drawings and presentation. Pr.: Sophomore standing.

IAPD 600. Interior Architecture Design Studio IV Lecture. (1) I. Lecture component taken concurrently with IAPD 602 Design Studio IV. See IAPD 602 for course description.

IAPD 602. Interior Architecture Design Studio IV. (4) I. This course is specifically directed towards the unique programming and design-related issues and conditions associated with contemporary large-scale office space planning. Emphasis is placed on the nature of the office work environment and the linking together of various architectural systems in support of users' needs. Students will be required to have their own personal computer for this course. Pr.: IAPD 404 Studio III, and IAPD 403 Product Design Studio I; not more than one D in an interior architecture design studio course.

IAPD 606. Interior Architecture Design Studio V. (4) II. This semester of study provides an option for an interdisciplinary collaborative studio course oriented towards replicating the learning experience and interactive activities that takes place in the modern multidisciplinary professional office. Students enrolled in this studio can be from architecture, interior architecture, and landscape architecture. Pr.: IAPD 602; not more than one D in an interior architecture design studio course.

IAPD 607. Interior Architecture Design Studio V Lecture. (1) II. Lecture component taken concurrently with IAPD 606 Design Studio V. See IAPD 606 for course description.

IAPD 608. Design Workshop II. (3) I, II. Design Workshop is intended to further develop the student's understanding of the three dimensional design process through research, design, prototype construction, evaluation, and redesign. Enhance and increase the student's understanding of the structural characteristics of materials and increase their proficiency at communicating ideas through working and presentation drawings. Pr.: IAPD 407

IAPD 614. Design Workshop II Studio. (1) I, II. Studio component taken concurrently with IAPD 608 Design Workshop II. See IAPD 608 for course description.

IAPD 622. Building Construction Systems in Interior Architecture. (2) I, II. The course focuses on developing an understanding of the integration and coordination of building components in the interior environment. Stategies and techniques of construction are studied through the production of a set of construction documents for a building interior. Issues addressed include the selection and assemblage of materials and/or products, building codes, accessibility and methods of construction. IAPD 600, 602, and 622 must be taken conc.

IAPD 625. Lighting in Interior Architecture. I, II. An examination of design and technical issues related to luminous environments in building interiors. Topics include color and light, vision, light sources, luminaire selection and design, and the evaluation of lighting solutions. Pr: ARCH 413, ARCH 514 and IAPD 402 and 405 or approval of instructor.

IAPD 644. Interior Architecture Internship. (12) II, S. Thirty weeks off-campus work study in professional offices specializing in interior architecture: field and office experience. Pr.: IAPD 603, ARCH 433, not more than one grade of D in an interior architecture design studio, and approval by the internship coordinator.

IAPD 645. Interior Architecture Internship Report. (3) II, S. Taken in conjunction with IAPD 644. The purpose is to develop the student's communication skills and awareness of the importance of written communication and record keeping in interior architectural office practice. The required report will provide a detailed documentation of the student's experiences encountered during internship. Pr.: Conc. enrollment in IAPD 644.

IAPD 646. Interior Architecture Foreign Studies. (12) II, S. This course allows the student to study outside of the United States for one semester. The semester will expand their global perspective of design professions and cultural, political, and economic views. One semester studying interior architecture in a foreign university. Pr.: IAPD 603, ARCH 433, not more than one grade of D in an interior architecture design studio and approval by the foreign studies coordinator.

IAPD 647. Interior Architecture Foreign Studies Reports. (3) II, S. Taken in conjunction with IAPD 646. The purpose is to develop the student's written communication skills as well as increase awareness of written communication and record keeping in interior architecture office practice. The report will provide detailed documentation of the student's experiences during the foreign studies program. Pr.: Conc. enrollment in IAPD 646.

IAPD 705. Interior Architecture Design Studio VI. (4) I, II. This design studio pursues and extends the architectural knowledge gained in all previous studios. Emphasis is on understanding large-scale buildings in terms of structure, systems, materials, and environment. Design VI addresses the built environment, utilizing existing large-scale buildings to explore architectural renovation, rehabilitation, restoration, and preservation. Pr.: IAPD 606, or IAPD 644 and IAPD 645, or IAPD 646 and IAPD 647; not more than one D in an interior architecture design studio course.

IAPD 706. Product Design Studio II. (4) I, II. Advanced design projects involving products related to the interior environment. Synthesis of the design, materials, construction, and finishing of prototype products relevant to human use. Pr.: IAPD 605 or IAPD 644 and 645, or IAPD 646 and 647; not more than one D in an interior architecture design studio course.

IAPD 707. Product Design Studio II Lecture. (1) I, II. Lecture component taken concurrently with IAPD 706 Product Design Studio II. See IAPD 706 for course description.

IAPD 708. Interior Architecture Design Studio VI Lecture. (1) I, II. Lecture component taken concurrently with IAPD 705 Design Studio VI. See IAPD 705 for course description.

IAPD 710. Advanced 3-D Modeling. (3) I, II. Lighting, materials, animation, advanced modeling techniques, sound and storyboarding are methodologies required to successfully build a digital presentation for projection in a two dimensional, or 3-dimensional environment using the vision domes. Projects that utilize these topics will include an introduction to 3D modeling, animation, sound titling, lighting, and a material editor. Pr: IAPD 410 or equivalent and approval of the instructor.

IAPD 713. Furniture Design Workshop Studio. (1) I, II, S. Studio component taken concurrently with IAPD 714 Furniture Design Workshop. See IAPD 714 for course description.

IAPD 714. Furniture Design Workshop. (3) I, II, S. Design, construction, and finishing of contemporary furniture and accessories. Pr.: IAPD 608.

IAPD 720. Advanced Seminar in Interior Architecture. (1-3) I, II. Advanced readings and discussions of environmental issues related to the practice of interior architecture. Readings, discussions, reports. Pr.: IAPD 702 or equiv.

IAPD 730. Facility Management. (2) II. A survey of the methods of managing the physical assets of large facilities—corporate, institutional, and governmental—through a review of current literature, presentations by professionals active in the field, and case studies.

IAPD 740. Advanced Design Workshop. (1-4) I, II. Advanced instruction in the design, construction, and finishing of contemporary furniture and accessories. The course involves the development of a concept for a complex furniture prototype and includes research, program development, design development, criteria examination and determination, design development, working drawings, complete prototype development, and presentation drawings. Pr.: IAPD 714 or equivalent.

IAPD 753. Professional Practice. (3) I. Studies of conventional and newly developing modes of professional design practice. Presented are the relationships of interior architects, architects, and landscape architects and other design professionals to users, clients, building industry, society, government, and one another. Pr.: Fifth-year standing.

IAR 760. Interior Architecture Seminar. (3) I, II. Readings and discussion of contemporary thought and movements within the field of interior architecture with special emphasis on the societal factors which produce and affect change. Pr.: IAR 705 or graduate standing.

Topics within Architecture, Planning, and Design:
    dAdmission Policies and Procedures dEnvironmental Design Studies dLandscape Architecture and Regional and Community Planning
    dUniversity General Education dArchitecture   
    dAdditional Information dInterior Architecture and Product Design   
    start of standard bottom bar

August 19, 2005