Enter either a:
  • Person's name (faculty, staff, or student)
  • Department name
  • Word to find on a web page

    More Search Options
    K-State Undergraduate Catalog 2002-2004
    About the Catalog
    About the University
    Glossary and Abbreviations
    Academic Advising
    Tuition and Fees
    All-University Regulations
    Student Financial Assistance
    dSatisfactory Academic Progress
    Services for Students
    Auxiliary Services and Facilities
    International Programs
    Secondary Majors
    Architecture, Planning, and Design
    Arts and Sciences
    Business Administration
    Human Ecology
    Technology and Aviation
    Veterinary Medicine
    Graduate School
    Intercollegiate Athletics
    K-State Research and Extension
    University Faculty


    Each year nearly 4,000 Kansas State University undergraduate students receive more than $6 million of scholarship assistance based on their academic records, financial need, and/or leadership qualities. Freshmen are encouraged to meet K-State's early application deadline of November 1 of their senior year. All students should meet the final application deadline date of February 1 each year for the following academic year. Applications and scholarship information are available from high school counselors, the Office of Student Financial Assistance, and the various colleges at K-State.

    Approximately 6,000 students are assisted through two federal grant programs.

    Assistance exceeds $8 million. The Free Application For Federal Student Aid is the application for these programs and should be filed by March 1.

    K-State has six kinds of student loans: the Federal Perkins Loan, the Federal Subsidized Direct and the Federal Unsubsidized Direct loans, the Federal Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS), the Health Professions Student Loan (HPSL), and Alumni/ Foundation Loans.

    The Perkins Loan is a five percent interest loan. The Direct Loans are variable interest loans. The HPSL carries a five percent interest rate.

    The Federal Subsidized and Unsubsidized Direct Loans contain the same basic annual limits and interest rates, which is capped at 8.25%. The Subsidized Direct Loan is based on financial need while the Unsubsidized Direct does not carry a need requirement. Repayment on the principal of both loans begins six months after the student stops attending at least half time. In school interest payments on the Subsidized Direct Loan is maintained by the federal government and by the student on the Unsubsidized Direct Loan. The repayment period may be up to 10 years.

    The Alumni/Foundation Loan charges six percent interest payable annually from the date of the loan, with $50 monthly payments beginning three months after the borrower leaves school.

    The Federal PLUS loan is capped at 9 percent but has a variable interest rate from year to year. It begins accruing interest 60 days after the borrower receives the money. Parents borrowing on their student's behalf, begin monthly payments 60 days after receiving the money.

    Qualified students also may borrow through emergency, alumni, and endowment funds to meet specific needs. Interested students should contact the Office of Student Financial Assistance.

    Kansas State University provides services for students seeking part-time employment to help offset educational, living, and social expenses. K-State has two categories of jobs: college work-study program jobs and campus payroll jobs. In addition, students are frequently employed in off-campus positions. Available jobs are posted on the job board in the K-State Student Union.

    To be employed on the hourly student payroll, a student must be enrolled in at least 6 resident semester credit hours at K-State during a fall or spring semester, and at least 3 resident semester credit hours at K-State during a summer semester, or have been enrolled in at least 6 resident semester credit hours at K-State during the preceding spring semester.

    Services for veterans
    The university maintains a veterans' service to aid veterans and children of deceased or disabled veterans in securing educational benefits.

    Veterans who have more than 181 days of service after January 31, 1955, may be eligible for educational benefits. Children of a deceased or disabled veteran may be entitled to educational benefits, providing the veteran's death or disability was due to active service in World War I, World War II, the Korean Campaign, or Vietnam.

    Information may be obtained from your nearest Veterans' Administration Office or the Office of Student Financial Assistance.

    Topics within Student Financial Assistance:
    dPrograms dSatisfactory Academic Progress   
    start of standard bottom bar

    Kansas State University
    June 5, 2003