ugrad2000Home
ugrad2000
Enter either a:
  • Person's name (faculty, staff, or student)
  • Department name
  • Word to find on a web page

More Search Options
  •  

K-State Undergraduate Catalog 2000-2002

About the Catalog
    About the University
    Calendar
    Glossary and Abbreviations
    Admission
    Academic Advising
    Enrollment
    Tuition and Fees
    Degrees
    Grades
    All-University Regulations
    Student Financial Assistance
    Services for Students
    Auxiliary Services and Facilities
    International Programs
    Secondary Majors
    Agriculture
    Architecture, Planning, and Design
    Arts and Sciences
    dMajors and Degrees
    dDegree Requirements
    dBachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Sciences
    dBachelor of Fine Arts
    dBachelor of Music
    dBachelor of Music Education
    dAssociate of Arts at Fort Riley
    dAssociate of Science at Fort Riley
    dProgram Options
    dAdvising
    dUniversity Undergraduate Studies
    dPre-Law
    dPre-Health Professions Program
    dAerospace Studies
    dAnthropology
    dArt
    dBiochemistry
    dBiology
    dChemistry
    dEconomics
    dEnglish
    dGeography
    dGeology
    dHistory
    dJournalism and Mass Communications
    dKinesiology
    dMathematics
    dMilitary Science
    dModern Languages
    dMusic
    dPhilosophy
    dPhysics
    dPolitical Science
    dPsychology
    dSociology, Anthropology, and Social Work
    dSpeech Communication, Theatre, and Dance
    dStatistics
    Business Administration
    Education
    Engineering
    Human Ecology
    Technology and Aviation
    Veterinary Medicine
    Graduate School
    Intercollegiate Athletics
    K-State Research and Extension
    Outreach
    University Faculty

Biochemistry

Charles Hedgcoth,* Head

Professors Davis,* Hedgcoth,* Kanost,* Kramer,* Muthukrishnan,* Reeck,* Roche,* D. Takemoto,* and Tomich;* Associate Professors Krishnamoorthi* and Wang;* Assistant Professors P. Smith,* A. Zolkiewska*, and M. Zolkiewski;* Research Assistant Professors Iwamoto and Prakash;* Emeriti: Professors Burkhard, Koeppe, Mitchell, Nordin, Parrish, and Ruliffson; Associate Professor Mueller.

E-mail: biochem@ksu.edu
    www.ksu.edu/bchem

Biochemistry seeks to understand the molecular events of life processes. It applies chemical and physical techniques to elucidate the structure and organization of molecules, particularly macromolecules that are responsible for the structural organization as well as operation and control of all cellular processes. The emerging knowledge has broad importance and consequences for all areas of the life sciences.

The Department of Biochemistry offers work leading to bachelor of arts and bachelor of science degrees with majors in biochemistry. The B.A. degree provides a liberal education with sufficient emphasis on science for students who wish to prepare for certain professional schools. The B.S. degree prepares students for professional careers in biochemistry or entry into graduate biochemistry training programs.

To graduate, a student must have a grade of C or better in all science and mathematics courses required for the degree, including transfer courses, as specified below. In addition, to graduate a student must have a 2.2 GPA in required science and mathematics courses taken at K-State.

Bachelor of arts
    The requirements for the B.A. degree with a major in biochemistry include the general requirements of the College of Arts and Sciences plus the following:

BIOCH 100Biochemistry Orientation 1
    CHM 220Chemical Principles I 5
    and
    CHM 250Chemical Principles II 5
    or
    CHM 210Chemistry I 4
    and
    CHM 230Chemistry II 4
    and
    CHM 371Chemical Analysis 4
    CHM 531Organic Chemistry I 3
    CHM 550Organic Chemistry II 3
    CHM 532Organic Chemistry Laboratory 2
    BIOCH 290Biochemistry Seminar 2
    BIOCH 522General Biochemistry Laboratory 2
    BIOCH 755Biochemistry I 3
    BIOCH 765Biochemistry II 3
    MATH 220Analytic Geometry and Calculus I 4
    MATH 221Analytic Geometry and Calculus II 4
    PHYS 113General Physics I 4
    PHYS 114General Physics II 4
    BIOL 198Principles of Biology 4
    Biological science electives 8

These science courses satisfy the mathematics and natural sciences requirements shown in the general requirements for the B.A. degree.

Bachelor of science
    The requirements for the B.S. degree with a major in biochemistry include the general requirements of the College of Arts and Sciences plus the following:

BIOCH 100Biochemistry Orientation 1
    CHM 220Chemical Principles I 5
    and
    CHM 250Chemical Principles II 5
    or
    CHM 210Chemistry I 4
    and
    CHM 230Chemistry II 4
    and
    CHM 371Chemical Analysis 4
    CHM 531Organic Chemistry I 3
    CHM 550Organic Chemistry II 3
    CHM 532Organic Chemistry Laboratory 2
    BIOCH 290Biochemistry Seminar 2
    BIOCH 755Biochemistry I 3
    BIOCH 756Biochemistry I Laboratory 2
    BIOCH 765Biochemistry II 3
    Upper-division biochemistry or chemistry electives
    (one hour of which must be BIOCH 799 Problems in Biochemistry) 3
    MATH 222Analytic Geometry and Calculus III 4

Either option A or B
    Option A:
    PHYS 113General Physics I 4
    PHYS 114General Physics II 4
    CHM 500General Physical Chemistry 3
    or
    Option B:
    MATH 220Analytical Geometry and Calculus 4
    PHYS 213Engineering Physics I 5
    PHYS 214Engineering Physics II 5
    CHM 585Physical Chemistry I 3

Physical Studies of Biomacromolecules 3

BIOL 198Principles of Biology 4
    Biological science electives 8
    Biology, statistics, or computer science elective 3-4

The science courses in this list satisfy the natural science and quantitative reasoning requirements shown in the general requirements for the B.S. degree.

Transfer students
    Community college students who plan to transfer into either of the biochemistry curricula at the junior level should take the following science courses during their first two years of college:

A year of freshman chemistry—lecture and laboratory A semester of analytical chemistry—lecture and laboratory A year of organic chemistry—lecture and laboratory A year of analytic geometry and calculus A year of biology—lecture and laboratory

Completion of these science courses should allow students to go directly into biochemistry and advanced biology courses upon entry into a biochemistry curriculum.

Biochemistry courses
    BIOCH 100. Biochemistry Orientation. (1) I. Discussion of biochemistry as a discipline in the life sciences.

BIOCH 101. Biochemistry Colloquium. (2) I, II. Offered by TELENET. Topics in biochemistry chosen to illustrate current research of scientists and methods chosen to study biological problems from a biochemical point of view. At each offering of this course a syllabus will be available giving the topics to be studied and the details of administration of the course. May be repeated once. Not open to biochemistry majors.

University General Education courseBIOCH 110. Biochemistry and Society. (3) I, II. A cultural and environmental approach to biochemical compounds and circumstances affecting man. Topics to be discussed include compounds of biochemical interest, biochemical evolution, food additives, heavy metals, drugs, and certain control chemicals, e.g., pesticides. Intended for nonscience majors.

University General Education courseBIOCH 265. Introductory Organic and Biochemistry. (5) I, II. For students in human ecology, nursing, and other areas desiring an integrated organic and biochemistry course to provide an understanding of carbohydrates, proteins, lipids, and digestive and metabolic systems. Three hours lec. and six hours lab a week. Pr.: CHM 110.

BIOCH 290. Biochemistry Seminar. (2) II. Lectures and discussions on basic topics in biochemistry. Pr.: BIOCH 100.

University General Education courseBIOCH 399. Honors Seminar in Biochemistry. (3) II. Lecture, guided reading, and discussion of topics of general interest in biochemistry. Topics will vary depending on the interests and backgrounds of students enrolled. Pr.: Freshman Honors Seminar.

BIOCH 499. Senior Honors Thesis. (2) I, II, S. Open only to seniors in the arts and sciences honors program. May be used by honors students to satisfy B.S. requirement for BIOCH 799. Pr.: BIOCH 755 or conc. enrollment.

BIOCH 521. General Biochemistry. (3) I, II, S. A basic study of the chemistry and metabolism of carbohydrates, lipids, proteins, and nucleic acids. Pr.: CHM 350.

BIOCH 522. General Biochemistry Laboratory. (2) I, II, S. A one-semester laboratory course with experiments relating to carbohydrates, lipids, proteins, nucleic acids, and enzymes. Six hours lab a week. Pr.: CHM 351 and BIOCH 521 or conc. enrollment, or BIOCH 755 or conc. enrollment.

BIOCH 590. Physical Studies of Biomacromolecules. (3) II. A lecture course providing an overview of the concepts and techniques of physical science as they are applied to study the structure and function of biomacromolecules, such as proteins and DNA. The applications discussed will range from those utilizing classical equilibrium thermodynamics to spectroscopic methods such as mass spectrometry, circular dichroism (CD), and nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR). Pr.: CHM 500 or equiv., and MATH 220 and 221, or equiv., and PHYS 113 and 114, or equiv.

BIOCH 599. Research Training in Biochemistry. (1-3) I, II, S. Provides laboratory experience for majors and nonmajors in research techniques contributing to ongoing biochemical research. May be repeated up to 8 hours. Pr.: *Background adequate for relevant techniques.

Undergraduate and graduate credit
    BIOCH 755. Biochemistry I. (3) I. An introduction to physical methods, kinetics, and thermodynamics of biochemical reactions and bioenergetics, chemistry of proteins and amino acids, carbohydrate chemistry, and metabolism. BIOCH 755 and 765 are for students interested in a two-semester comprehensive coverage of biochemistry. For a one-semester course, enroll in BIOCH 521. Pr.: *Chemical analysis, one year of organic chemistry, differential and integral calculus.

BIOCH 756. Biochemistry I Laboratory. (2) I. An intensive laboratory course to accompany BIOCH 755. BIOCH 756 and 766 are sequential courses for students interested in a two-semester comprehensive coverage of experiments in biochemistry. For a one-semester laboratory course, enroll in BIOCH 522. Six hours lab a week. Pr.: *BIOCH 755 or conc. enrollment.

BIOCH 765. Biochemistry II. (3) II. Continuation of BIOCH 755; lipid chemistry and metabolism, amino acid metabolism, nutrition, nucleic acid chemistry and metabolism, integration of biochemical pathways and metabolic control mechanisms. Pr.: *BIOCH 755.

BIOCH 766. Biochemistry II Laboratory. (2) II. A continuation of BIOCH 756. Six hours lab a week. Pr.: *BIOCH 756 and 765 or conc. enrollment.

BIOCH 790. Physical Biochemistry. (3) I. A survey of biophysical methods most frequently encountered in biochemistry and related disciplines. The course emphasizes principles underlying methods used to determine the molecular weight and shape of biopolymers, and techniques used to detect conformational changes in polynucleotides, proteins, and polysaccharides. Pr.: *Calculus, a course in physical chemistry, BIOCH 765 and 766.

BIOCH 799. Problems in Biochemistry. (Var.) I, II, S. Problem may include laboratory or library work in various phases of biochemistry, agricultural chemistry, or nutrition. Pr.: *Background adequate for problem undertaken.

*Nonmajors lacking these prerequisites should obtain consent of instructor before enrollment.

Topics within Arts and Sciences:
    dMajors and Degrees dAerospace Studies dMathematics
    dDegree Requirements dAnthropology dMilitary Science
    dBachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Sciences dArt dModern Languages
    dBachelor of Fine Arts dBiochemistry dMusic
    dBachelor of Music dBiology dPhilosophy
    dBachelor of Music Education dChemistry dPhysics
    dAssociate of Arts at Fort Riley dEconomics dPolitical Science
    dAssociate of Science at Fort Riley dEnglish dPsychology
    dProgram Options dGeography dSociology, Anthropology, and Social Work
    dAdvising dGeology dSpeech Communication, Theatre, and Dance
    dUniversity Undergraduate Studies dHistory dStatistics
    dPre-Law dJournalism and Mass Communications   
    dPre-Health Professions Program dKinesiology   
    start of standard bottom bar

November 10, 2000