ugrad2000Home
ugrad2000
Enter either a:
  • Person's name (faculty, staff, or student)
  • Department name
  • Word to find on a web page

More Search Options
  •  

K-State Undergraduate Catalog 2000-2002

About the Catalog
    About the University
    Calendar
    Glossary and Abbreviations
    Admission
    Academic Advising
    Enrollment
    Tuition and Fees
    Degrees
    Grades
    All-University Regulations
    Student Financial Assistance
    Services for Students
    Auxiliary Services and Facilities
    International Programs
    Secondary Majors
    Agriculture
    Architecture, Planning, and Design
    dAdmission to the College
    dUniversity General Education
    dGeneral Requirements
    dOptions
    dEnvironmental Design Studies
    dArchitecture
    dInterior Architecture
    dLandscape Architecture and Regional and Community Planning
    Arts and Sciences
    Business Administration
    Education
    Engineering
    Human Ecology
    Technology and Aviation
    Veterinary Medicine
    Graduate School
    Intercollegiate Athletics
    K-State Research and Extension
    Outreach
    University Faculty

Interior Architecture

Stephen M. Murphy, Head

Professors Dubois, Haycock, and Murphy; Associate Professors Brown, Bullock, Hastings, Husseini, Owens-Wilson*, Thompson* and Troyer; Assistant Professors Borchers and Davidson; Instructor Wunderlich, Emeritus Professors Durgan and McGraw; Adjunct Professors Pauli Barucchieri, Castiglion Fiorentino, Italy; Franz Puschough, Frank Sander, and Klaus Steinman, Trier, Germany.

aalto.arch.ksu.edu/iar

The bachelor of interior architecture program consists of a four-year course of study following the one-year environmental design studies program. The Department of Interior Architecture's five-year program is one of the first curricula in this profession to be recognized and accredited by the Foundation for Interior Design Education Research in the United States. The Department of Interior Architecture's professional program is also accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design.

The curriculum in interior architecture is structured for students who plan a professional career in space planning in commercial, institutional, and industrial interior design. The learning experience is gained through the focus placed upon the departments's educational programs in interior architectural space planning, furniture, and product design. After an introduction to basic interior space planning, students undertake studio exercises that include programming and designing of spaces. Special emphasis is placed on spatial organization, behavior analysis, space component design, furniture design and construction, product and exhibit design, the integration of environmental systems, building rehabilitation, and the preparation of working drawings and contract documents.

Computers in the studio
    The department provides a supportive and integrated studio beginning with the fifth semester, when students can bring in their own CAD-capable computers. The department provides cabinets, peripheral equipment, and a secure environment with updated electrical and data connections. Use of the computer and appropriate software is integrated into all the departmental courses from this point on. Computers are the tool of choice in today's design offices, and the department strives to fully educate its students on their uses.

Internship program
    A 30-week, full-time, paid internship is an available option for the spring semester of the fourth year. Students may apply their skills in a professional design environment while receiving 15 hours credit.

Foreign study program
    During their fourth year, interior architecture students may participate in the semester long exchange program between K-State and the interior architecture program at Trier, Germany. This program is on a space-available basis only. Other foreign studies options exist with the college's study in Italy program and the university's student exchange program with Prague, in the Czech Republic. The Italian program allows students from the three professional programs to participate in an invaluable learning experience at Santa Chiari. These foreign studies options can be taken as an alternative to the internship program or remaining at K-State for the semester. Students may earn 15 hours of credit while overseas.

General education philosophy
    The responsibilities of the interior architect/ designer encompass all spaces within environments built for human habitation. Our goal is to develop creative professionals who can synthesize information and analyze problems from many perspectives. New technologies affect the skills and knowledge required for designers.

The best preparation for the future is an education that will enable graduates to adapt to a changing world. Adaptation to change requires that the graduate draw on history and on experience of many cultures and apply the theories of empirical investigation. A sound curriculum for professional interior architectural education balances the broad cultural aspects of education and the specialized practical content integral to the profession.

Interior architecture program

150 IAR
    Total hours required for graduation—156

For the curriculum requirements for the first two semesters, see Environmental Design Studies, earlier in this section.

Third semester
    IAR 301Interior Architecture Design Studio I  3
    IAR 304Interior Architecture Design Studio I Lecture  1
    IAR 248Building Science  3
    University general education elective  3
    IAR 430Visual Communication  2
    ARCH 348Structural Systems in Architecture I  3
    15

Fourth semester
    IAR 302Interior Architecture Design Studio II  3
    IAR 305Interior Architecture Design Studio II Lecture  1
    IAR 416History of Furniture  2
    ARCH 413Environmental Systems in Architecture I  4
    ARCH 449Structural Systems in Architecture II  3
    IAR 390The Contemporary Interior  2
    15

Fifth semester
    IAR 404Interior Architecture Design Studio III  4
    IAR 409Materials and Finishes  2
    IAR 413Materials and Finishes Lab  1
    IAR 410Interior Architecture Microcomputers  2
    ARCH 433Building Construction Systems in Architecture I  3
    IAR 420Theory of Furniture Design  2
    IAR 456Theory of Product Design  2
    16
    or
    IAR 403Product Design Studio I  3
    IAR 400Product Design Studio I Lecture  1
    IAR 455Product Design Illustration  1
    IAR 409Materials and Finishes  2
    IAR 413Materials and Finishes Lab  1
    IAR 410Interior Architecture Microcomputer  2
    IAR 420Theory of Furniture Design  2
    IAR 456Theory of Product Design  2
    17

Sixth semester
    IAR 403Product Design Studio I  3
    IAR 455Product Design Illustration  1
    ARCH 514Environmental Systems in Architecture II  3
    IAR 407Design Workshop I  3
    ARCH 434Building Construction Systems in Architecture II  3
    AT 260Textiles  3
    17
    or
    IAR 407Design Workshop I  3
    AT 260Textiles  3
    16

Seventh semester
    IAR 600Interior Architecture Design Studio IV Lecture  1
    IAR 602Interior Architecture Design Studio IV  4
    ARCH 515Environmental Systems in Architecture III  3
    ENGL 200Expository Writing II  3
    IAR 408Design Workshop II  3
    17

Eighth semester
    IAR 606Interior Architecture Design Studio V  4
    IAR 607Interior Architecture Design Studio V Lecture  1
    Free electives 10
    15
    or
    IAR 644Interior Architecture Internship 12
    IAR 645Interior Architecture Internship Report  3
    15
    or
    IAR 646Interior Architecture Foreign Studies 12
    IAR 647Interior Architecture Foreign Report  3
    15

Ninth semester
    IAR 705Interior Architecture Design Studio VI  4
    IAR 708Interior Architecture Design Studio VI Lecture  1
    IAR 714Furniture Design Workshop  3
    IAR 753Professional Practice  3
    IAR 760Interior Architecture Seminar  3
    17
    or
    IAR 706Product Design Studio II  4
    IAR 707Product Design Studio II Lecture  1
    IAR 714Furniture Design Workshop  3
    IAR 753Professional Practice  3
    University general education electives  6
    17

Tenth semester
    IAR 706Product Design Studio II  4
    Free elective  2
    13
    or
    Free elective  2
    IAR 760Interior Architecture Seminar  3
    13

Interior architecture courses
    Undergraduate credit
    IAR 248. Building Science. (3) I. Instruction in the materials of building and landscape design; sources, characteristics, and uses in design and construction; emphasis on evaluation and selection. Two lec. and one rec. per week. Pr.: Second-year standing and PHYS 115 and 460.

IAR 301. Interior Architecture Design Studio I. (3) I. Design vocabulary, abstract design, form and space generation, use of light and color theory, application of design process, idea generation, creativity, and diagraming are all general topics that underpin the second year. These concepts are necessary to reinforce graphic development, typography, presentation, and layout carried over from previous semesters. Projects that utilize these topics will include an introduction to human scale and anthropometries, perspective as applied to small scale spaces, environmental analysis, and introduction to structure in design. Pr.: DSFN 202 and admission to professional program in interior architecture.

IAR 302. Interior Architecture Design Studio II. (3) II. Continuation of topics covered in previous semesters will allow for more proficiency through multiple projects that include signage, model building, rendering and color media presentations, indoor-outdoor site relationships, continuation of environmental studies, contextual issues, various architectonic scales, and analysis of product types with linkages to lighting design and building systems. Pr.: IAR 201.

IAR 303. Interior Architecture Design Studio IA. (6) I. This course integrates material from Environmental Design Studio I and II with ADS I, IAD I, LADS I. Twelve hours of studio a week. Pr.: For transfer students; 9 or more credit hours of graphics, design, and freehand drawing and admission to a department in the College of Architecture, Planning, and Design.

IAR 304. Interior Architecture Design Studio I Lecture. (1) I. Lecture component taken concurrently with IAR 301 Design Studio I. See IAR 301 for course description.

IAR 305. Interior Architecture Design Studio II Lecture. (1) II. Lecture component taken concurrently with IAR 302 Design Studio II. See IAR 302 for course description.

IAR 390. The Contemporary Interior: Ideas and Examples. (2) II. A visual survey of selected works of current interior architecture, which illustrate principles and practical concerns that motivate design. Required of interior architecture as a prerequisite for IAR 404, but open to nonmajors from any discipline.

IAR 400. Product Design Studio I Lecture. (1) I, II. Lecture component taken concurrently with IAR 403 Product Design Studio I. See IAR 403 for course description.

IAR 403. Product Design Studio I. (3) I, II. Analysis, synthesis, and design of various types of products associated with the interior environment, integrating such human factor determinants as anthropometries and ergonomics. Construction of prototype products associated with the human environment developed concurrently within the design studio. Pr.: IAR 202; not more than one D in an interior architecture design studio course.

IAR 404. Interior Architecture Design Studio III. (4) I, II. This course will build upon and extend the knowledge and skill base gained by students in studios I and II. This course will include the introduction of programming methodology and its relationship to the design and organization of interior space. Emphasis will be placed on the appropriate selection of furniture, finishes, fixtures, and equipment within the context of their relationships to form, function, task, and users' needs. Pr.: IAR 202; not more than one D in an interior architecture design studio course.

IAR 405. Interior Architecture Design Studio III Lecture. (1) I, II. Lecture component taken concurrently with IAR 404 Design Studio III. See IAR 404 for course description.

IAR 406. Problems in Interior Architecture. (Var.) I, II. Study of specific interior architectural problems under direct supervision of a member of the department. Pr.: Approval of instructor.

IAR 407. Design Workshop I. (3) II. An introduction to shop procedures, equipment, design materials, joinery, and elementary design experiences in turning and shaping various materials. This course provides the student the opportunity through a series of small projects exposure to the total creative design process by researching, designing, constructing, and evaluating finished products. Pr.: Admission to the professional program of interior architecture.

IAR 408. Design Workshop II. (3) I. Design Workshop is intended to further develop the student's understanding of the three-dimensional design process through research, design, prototype construction, evaluation, and redesign. Enhance and increase the student's understanding of the structural characteristics of materials and increase their proficiency at communicating ideas through working and presentation drawings. Pr.: IAR 407

IAR 409. Materials and Finishes. (2) I. Introduction to materials and finishes specific to interior applications. Criteria for evaluation, selection, and application of interior materials and finishes with the building fabric and their impact on building design. Preparation of written and graphic communications to illustrate and direct the construction process. Two hours lec. a week. Pr.: Admission to the professional program in interior architecture.

IAR 410. Interior Architecture Microcomputer Applications. (2) I. Instruction in microcomputer operating procedure, general terminology, programming concepts for microcomputer, and use of appropriate word-processing specification writing and computer-aided design software as it relates to the interior architecture profession. Four hours lab a week. Pr.: Enrollment in the interior architecture program.

IAR 411. Drawing in Black and White. (3) II. Freehand representational drawing of architectonic space using graphite pencil and ink pen. Emphasis is on the development of the visual perception of space and the communication of the perceived space through drawings that are clear and expressive. Pr.: Third-year standing.

IAR 413. Materials and Finishes Laboratory. (1) I. Identification and application of specific interior finishes. Two hours lab a week. Pr.: To be taken concurrently with IAR 409.

IAR 416. History of Furniture. (2) II. Analysis of the social, political, and religious influences on product and furniture design in Italy, France, and England from early renaissance through the 18th century. Pr.: Admission to the professional program in architecture, interior architecture, or landscape architecture.

IAR 420. Theory of Furniture Design. (2) I. Design theory related to analysis, materials, and construction techniques from the early American period through the contemporary movement. Pr.: Admission to the professional program in architecture, interior architecture, or landscape architecture.

IAR 430. Visual Communication. (2) I. Students will be challenged to visualize and communicate in a three-dimensional language using constructed perspective, computer generated perspective with rendering and animation techniques, and constructed models as tools of the profession. Rapid graphic visual techniques using various medias will be studied enabling quick exploration of multiple design options in a spatial environment. Graphic arts including photography, typesetting, silk screening and reproduction as applied to board presentations will be introduced. Throughout the entire semester the study of color theory and its application will be used in all presentations. Pr.: Admission to the professional program of interior architecture.

IAR 455. Product Design Illustration. (1) I, II. Exercises in various rendering techniques and involvement in different media presentations associated with product design. Pr.: IAR 420.

IAR 456. Theory of Product Design. (2) I. History and design theory related to analysis materials and construction in product design. Pr.: IAR 420

IAR 520. Design Graphics Workshop. (3) II. A course in the use of colored pencils to render and present form and space using different techniques. Emphasis on the visual perception and composition of elements in design drawings and presentation. Pr.: Sophomore standing.

IAR 600. Interior Architecture Design Studio IV Lecture. (1) I. Lecture component taken concurrently with IAR 602 Design Studio IV. See IAR 602 for course description.

IAR 602. Interior Architecture Design Studio IV. (4) I. This course is specifically directed towards the unique programming and design-related issues and conditions associated with contemporary large-scale office space planning. Emphasis is placed on the nature of the office work environment and the linking together of various architectural systems in support of users' needs. Students will be required to have their own personal computer for this course. Pr.: IAR 404 Studio III, and IAR 403 Product Design Studio I; not more than one D in an interior architecture design studio course.

IAR 606. Interior Architecture Design Studio V. (4) II. This semester of study provides an option for an interdisciplinary collaborative studio course oriented towards replicating the learning experience and interactive activities that takes place in the modern multidisciplinary professional office. Students enrolled in this studio can be from architecture, interior architecture, and landscape architecture. Pr.: IAR 602; not more than one D in an interior architecture design studio course.

IAR 607. Interior Architecture Design Studio V Lecture. (1) II. Lecture component taken concurrently with IAR 606 Design Studio V. See IAR 606 for course description.

IAR 644. Interior Architecture Internship. (12) II, S. Thirty weeks off-campus work study in professional offices specializing in interior architecture: field and office experience. Pr.: IAR 603, ARCH 433, not more than one grade of D in an interior architecture design studio, and approval by the internship coordinator.

IAR 645. Interior Architecture Internship Report. (3) II, S. Taken in conjunction with IAR 644. The purpose is to develop the student's communication skills and awareness of the importance of written communication and record keeping in interior architectural office practice. The required report will provide a detailed documentation of the student's experiences encountered during internship. Pr.: Conc. enrollment in IAR 644.

IAR 646. Interior Architecture Foreign Studies. (12) II, S. This course allows the student to study outside of the United States for one semester. The semester will expand their global perspective of design professions and cultural, political, and economic views. One semester studying interior architecture in a foreign university. Pr.: IAR 603, ARCH 433, not more than one grade of D in an interior architecture design studio and approval by the foreign studies coordinator.

IAR 647. Interior Architecture Foreign Studies Reports. (3) II, S. Taken in conjunction with IAR 646. The purpose is to develop the student's written communication skills as well as increase awareness of written communication and record keeping in interior architecture office practice. The report will provide detailed documentation of the student's experiences during the foreign studies program. Pr.: Conc. enrollment in IAR 646.

IAR 705. Interior Architecture Design Studio VI. (4) I, II. This design studio pursues and extends the architectural knowledge gained in all previous studios. Emphasis is on understanding large-scale buildings in terms of structure, systems, materials, and environment. Design VI addresses the built environment, utilizing existing large-scale buildings to explore architectural renovation, rehabilitation, restoration, and preservation. Pr.: IAR 606, or IAR 644 and IAR 645, or IAR 646 and IAR 647; not more than one D in an interior architecture design studio course.

IAR 706. Product Design Studio II. (4) I, II. Advanced design projects involving products related to the interior environment. Synthesis of the design, materials, construction, and finishing of prototype products relevant to human use. Pr.: IAR 605 or IAR 644 and IAR 645, or IAR 646 and IAR 647; not more than one D in an interior architecture design studio course.

IAR 707. Product Design Studio II Lecture. (1) I, II. Lecture component taken concurrently with IAR 706 Product Design Studio II. See IAR 706 for course description.

IAR 708. Interior Architecture Design Studio VI Lecture. (1) I, II. Lecture component taken concurrently with IAR 705 Design Studio VI. See IAR 705 for course description.

IAR 714. Furniture Design Workshop. (3) I, II, S. Design, construction, and finishing of contemporary furniture and accessories. Pr.: IAR 608.

IAR 720. Advanced Seminar in Interior Architecture. (1-3) I, II. Advanced readings and discussions of environmental issues related to the practice of interior architecture. Readings, discussions, reports. Pr.: IAR 702 or equiv.

IAR 730. Facility Management. (2) II. A survey of the methods of managing the physical assets of large facilities—corporate, institutional, and governmental—through a review of current literature, presentations by professionals active in the field, and case studies.

IAR 740. Advanced Design Workshop. (1-4) I, II. Advanced instruction in the design, construction, and finishing of contemporary furniture and accessories. The course involves the development of a concept for a complex furniture prototype and includes research, program development, design development, criteria examination and determination, design development, working drawings, complete prototype development, and presentation drawings. Pr.: IAR 714 or equivalent.

IAR 753. Professional Practice. (3) I. Studies of conventional and newly developing modes of professional design practice. Presented are the relationships of interior architects, architects, and landscape architects and other design professionals to users, clients, building industry, society, government, and one another. Pr.: Fifth-year standing.

IAR 760. Interior Architecture Seminar. (3) I, II. Readings and discussion of contemporary thought and movements within the field of interior architecture with special emphasis on the societal factors which produce and affect change. Pr.: IAR 705 or graduate standing.

Topics within Architecture, Planning, and Design:
    dAdmission to the College dOptions dInterior Architecture
    dUniversity General Education dEnvironmental Design Studies dLandscape Architecture and Regional and Community Planning
    dGeneral Requirements dArchitecture   
    start of standard bottom bar

November 10, 2000