[an error occurred while processing this directive] [an error occurred while processing this directive]

Art

Duane Noblett, Head

Professors Calluori Holcombe, Ikeda, Noblett, and Pujol; Associate Professors Andrus, Brown, Culley, and Schmidt; Assistant Professors Bookwalter, Grame, Hunt, King, Nellis, and Routson; Emeriti: Professors Garzio, Kren, Larmer, Munce, and Sturr; Associate Professors Clore, Hill, Rex Replogle, Vogt, and Woodward; Assistant Professors Dollar, Love, Ogg, Renata Replogle, Swiler, O'Shea, and Winegardner; Instructor Hagan.

785-532-6605 Fax: 785-532-0334
E-mail: art@k-state.edu
www.k-state.edu/art

Bachelor of arts

The BA degree in art consists of four parts: the general education courses outlined under the humanities curriculum; a core of beginning art courses to provide prerequisites and a broad range of art experience for the art major; and 15 hours of art electives and a 15-hour concentration of related subjects that should provide a minimal basis for establishing professional competence.

Concentration possibilities are in one of the following: painting, printmaking, ceramics, sculpture, drawing, art history, metalsmithing and jewelry, graphic design, illustration, digital arts, and photography.

The bachelor of arts degree requires a minimum of 48 semester hours in art. The major requirements are as follows:

Art history (12 hours)
ART 195Survey of Art History I3
ART 196Survey of Art History II3

Any two of the following:
ART 54520th Century Art History I3
ART 55020th Century Art History II3
ART 60220th Century Art History III3
ART 60320th Century Art History IV3

Foundation core (21 hours)
ART 1002D Design3
ART 2003D Design3
ART 190Drawing I3
ART 210Drawing II3
ART 225Figure Drawing I3
Two-dimensional course choice*3
Three-dimensional course choice**3
Art electives15
Major concentration15

*Two-dimensional courses: Type and Design Principles, Oil Painting I, Photography in Art, Printmaking I, Watermedia I.

**Three-dimensional courses: Ceramics I, Metalsmith and Jewelry, Sculpture I.

Bachelor of fine arts

The bachelor of fine arts degree is a professionally oriented undergraduate degree in art. It is designed primarily for those planning to become professional artists, artist-teachers, or art therapists. Greater emphasis is placed on actual practice in the creative art disciplines.

The degree is considered the appropriate preparation for the master of fine arts degree, which is recognized as the terminal degree in studio arts, and for a master's degree in art therapy, which is required for registration as an art therapist. The BFA in art is a four-year, 124-hour program with concentrations possible in painting, sculpture, ceramics, graphic design, printmaking, drawing, metalsmithing and jewelry, illustration, digital arts, pre-art therapy, and photography.

Concentration admission procedure

Formal evaluation prior to admission to a chosen area of concentration is required upon completion of Department of Art foundation core. A display of selected completed foundation core work will occur during the semester when the last of nine foundation courses (25 credit hours) will be completed. Visual course work must meet faculty approval, and a minimum 2.75 GPA in foundation courses is required. Upon passing the concentration admission procedure students may begin BFA study in the area of concentration they have selected.

An additional review opportunity is allowed after an unsuccessful attempt to pass the concentration admission procedure. The second attempt must be made at the end of the semester following an unsuccessful effort to pass the concentration admission procedure. The second attempt may, if so requested, occur in an area different from the first unsuccessful attempt.

Students not successful in a second attempt to pass the concentration admission procedure will be advised to consider the BA degree in art. For complete details on the concentration admission procedure, students may get a copy of the requirements from the Department of Art advisor.

The major requirements are as follows:

Foundation core
ART 1002D Design3
ART 105Art Careers Seminar1
ART 2003D Design3
ART 190Drawing I3
ART 210Drawing II3
ART 225Figure Drawing I3
Two-dimensional course choice*3
Three-dimensional course choice**3
Two- or three-dimensional course choice*,**3

Additional requirements
Art history (15 hours)
ART 195Survey of Art History I3
ART 196Survey of Art History II3

20th century art history requirement (6 hours)
Any two of the following:
ART 54520th Century Art History I3
ART 55020th Century Art History II3
ART 60220th Century Art History III3
ART 60320th Century Art History IV3

Art history electives3
ART 410BFA Exhibition or Portfolio Presentaton2
Major concentration21
Art electives15
78

Studios, laboratories, and equipment for creative work are provided and adequate to the needs of the art areas. Student work may be retained at the discretion of the faculty for an indefinite period of time for instructional and exhibition purposes.

Art education

Students may satisfy requirements to teach art in public schools by any of three programs: BA and teacher certification; BFA and teacher certification; or BS in education with art concentration. Under the first two options students qualify for teacher certification by completing requirements as specified by the College of Education. See the College of Education approved programs section for more information.

Pre-art therapy

Students interested in a career as a licensed art therapist should contact their advisor in order to plan a sequence of elective courses.

Transfer students

Art hours transferred to K-State will be assigned by the art department. Students may use transfer hours toward their area of concentration only when obtained from a four-year college or university.

Computer application

The Department of Art includes a number of concentrations that require the use of the computer. The department, in order to help prepare students for their professional activities requires that students within these concentrations provide or have access to a computer and software to enhance their course of study. The Department of Art will provide information related to hardware and software options.

Art courses

ART 095. Art Assembly. (0) I, II. Recommended for all art and art education majors each semester. By appt.

University General Education courseART 100. 2 Dimensional Design. (3) I, II, S. Introduction to and laboratory practice in the principles and elements of design. Emphasis is placed on organizational command of the two-dimensional picture plane and issues of illusion. Six hours lab.

ART 105. Art Careers Seminar. (1) I, II. Introduction to art concentrations and professions. Required of all art majors and must be completed prior to the concentrations admission review procedure.

University General Education courseART 190. Drawing I. (3) I, II, S. Fundamentals of drawing as applied to the realistic and expressive representation of objects through the use of a variety of media and approaches. Six hour lab.

ART 193. Beach Museum Seminar and Contemporary Society. (3) I, II. An introduction to the Beach Museum as an example of the function of a museum in contemporary society. Lec.

University General Education courseART 195. Survey of Art History I. (3) I. Historical development of art from pre-history through the Middle Ages.

University General Education courseART 196. Survey of Art History II. (3) II. Historical development of art from the Renaissance to the nineteenth century.

ART 200. 3 Dimensional Design. (3) I, II, S. Introduction to and laboratory practice in the principals and element of design. Emphasis is place in the perceptions and use of spatial properties as related to components of three- dimensional art and design. Six hours lab.

ART 201. Visual Communication Foundation. (2) I, II. Introduction and studio practice in the area of visual communication. Emphasis is placed on advanced foundation design concepts relating to the organization of space. Typographic design concepts, color usage, image development, idea development, and creative problem solving will be emphasized in 2D and 3D problems. Pr.: Art major, ART 100.

ART 205. Graphic Design Studio I. (3) I, II. Development and preparation of design concepts for application to the printing process. (Black and white and color.) Six hours lab. Pr.: ART 201, 290.

ART 210. Drawing II. (3) I, II. Continuation of Drawing I, with strong emphasis on creative expression. Six hours lab. Pr.: ART 100, 190.

ART 220. Water Media I. (3) I, II. Introduction to painting with water-based media through a variety of techniques. Emphasis is placed on learning transparent watercolor. Six hours lab. Pr.: ART 100, 190.

ART 225. Figure Drawing I. (3) I, II. Sustained drawings of the human figure using a variety of media; introduction to human anatomy used by artists.Six hours lab. Pr.: ART 210.

ART 230. Sculpture I. (3) I, II. An introduction to the problems of sculptural form; fundamental techniques and theory in woodcarving, clay modeling, mold making, casting, oxy/acetylene welding, and metal casting. Six hours lab. Pr.: ART 200.

ART 235. Printmaking I. (3) I, II. Introduction to the intaglio, lithographic, relief, and serigraphic printmaking techniques and tools. Six hours lab. May be taken for four semesters. Pr.: ART 100, 190.

ART 240. Drawing III. (3) I, II. Continuation of Drawing II, emphasizing exploration in mixed media. Six hours lab. May be taken for two semesters. Pr.: ART 225.

ART 245. Introduction to Oil Painting. (3) I, II. Technical aspects of oil painting materials, including preparation of grounds and use of limited color palettes. Six hours lab. Pr.: ART 100, 190.

ART 265. Ceramics I. (3) I, II. Introduction to basic hand building techniques; decoration of ceramic forms using slips, stains, glazes. Student participation in Raku firing procedures; stacking and firing of electric kilns. Six hours lab. Pr.: ART 200.

ART 270. Metalsmithing and Jewelry. (3) I, II, S. Design and execution of small-scale, three-dimensional objects, involving the basic processes of raising, forging, and fabrication in semi-precious metals. The techniques of centrifugal and vacuum casting of precious metals will also be introduced as well as soldering and piercing. Six hours lab. Pr.: ART 200 or nonmajors consent of instructor.

ART 280. Art Education Seminar. (3) II. An introduction to concepts in art education. Research, literature, creativity, aesthetics, and the history of art education as they relate to teaching art. Six hours lab.

ART 285. Illustration I. (3) I, II, S. Exploration of various applied drawing/painting/collage techniques and how they relate to illustration and layout. Various traditional and digital media will be utilized. Six hours lab. Pr.: ART 201.

ART 290. Type and Design Principles. (3) I, II. Application of design and type principles to the development of letterforms and to principles of symbology. Selected topics in design, i.e., perception, figure/ground; shape, visual dynamics, Gestalt principle; fundamentals of the design process: research, thumbnails/roughs, comprehensive, presentation, paste-up, and digital fines. Six hours lab. Pr.: ART 100.

ART 295. Photography in Art I. (3) I, II. Understanding and using photography as an art form. The basic elements and principles of art are explored. Camera usage and photographic processing are covered. An adjustable camera is required. Six hours lab. Pr.: ART 100, 190 or consent of instructor.

ART 298. Concentration Admission Procedure. (0) I, II. The preparation and display of a student's own creative work, upon completion of the Department of Art 24-credit-hour core. The concentration admission procedure occurs after student selection of an area of concentration within the BFA art major format and the attainment of a minimum GPA of 2.75 within the eight-studio-course core.

ART 300. Special Studies in Art. (1-3) I, II. Specialized workshops or seminars conducted in studio, art therapy, art education, or art history. Lec.

ART 301. Human Form and Composition. (3) Intersessions only. Building stylization and expressive image making of the human form with experimental methods: use of color, mono-print, mixed media. A connected and sustained studio time available during intersession only, providing students a working rhythm without interruption from other course work. Six hours lab. Pr.: ART 100, 190.

ART 305. Introduction to Museum Studies. (3) I, II. Fundamentals of museum work including specific museum functions, role of professional personnel, and proper care and handling of art works.

ART 376. Studio Art Exploration. (3) II. Studio experiences in a variety of media including printmaking, fibers, drawing, and sculpture. Art materials, techniques, and process are explored. Six hours lab. Pr.: ART 100, 190, and 200.

University General Education courseART 399. Honors Seminar in Art. (3) Selected topics in art. Pr.: For students in the honors program only.

ART 400. Computer Imaging. (3) I, II, S. Exploration of computer imaging through the use of paint system and image processing technologies. Two hours lecture, four hours lab a week. Pr.: ART 200 and 210.

ART 405. Illustration II. (3) I, II. Advanced studio that explores various techniques in illustration in traditional and digital media. Six hours lab. Pr.: ART 285.

ART 410. BFA Exhibition or Portfolio Presentation. (0) I, II. Course builds an awareness of professional practices and emphasizes the production and exhibition of a final portfolio of the student's art work. Development of evaluative skills involved in the resolution and presentation of a body of individual work.

ART 425. Art for Elementary Schools. (3) I, II, S. Art methods, materials, and philosophy of children's art at different grade levels. Six hours lab.

ART 430. Independent Study—Ceramics. (1-5) I, II, S. Work in ceramics after competency has been achieved. Personal development is emphasized.

ART 435. Independent Study—Crafts. (1-5) I, II, S. Work in crafts after competency has been achieved. Personal development is emphasized.

ART 440. Independent Study—Drawing. (1-5) I, II, S. Work in drawing after competency has been achieved. Personal development is emphasized.

ART 445. Independent Study—Graphic Design. (1-5) I, II, S. Work in graphic design after competency has been achieved. Personal development is emphasized.

ART 450. Independent Study—Metalsmithing and Jewelry. (. 1-5) I, II, S. Work in metalsmithing and jewelry after competency has been achieved. Personal development is emphasized.

ART 455. Independent Study—Painting. (1-5) I, II, S. Work in painting after competency has been achieved. Personal development is emphasized. Permission of instructor and painting area head required.

ART 460. Independent Study—Printmaking. (1-5) I, II, S. Work in printmaking after competency has been achieved. Personal development is emphasized.

ART 465. Independent Study—Sculpture. (1-5) I, II, S. Work in sculpture after competency has been achieved. Personal development is emphasized.

ART 470. Independent Study—Water Color. (1-5) I, II, S. Work in water color after competency has been achieved. Personal development is emphasized.

ART 480. Independent Study/Research Computer Art and Design. (3) I, II, S. This course is intended to provide students an opportunity to focus on a specific visual project/problem that will be solved using computers to focus on as the primary tool/medium. Pr.: ART 400.

ART 545. Twentieth Century Art History I. (3) I. Origins and development of twentieth century art from 1890 to 1914. Pr.: ART 195 or 196.

ART 550. Twentieth Century Art History II. (3) II. Origins and development of twentieth century art from 1914 to 1950. Pr.: ART 195 or 196.

University General Education courseART 560. Art for the Exceptional Individual. (3) I, II. Using art concepts and activities to meet the needs of the mentally deficient, physically impaired, or emotionally disturbed. Adaptation will be based upon art development of the intact individual. Three hours lec. Pr.: PSYCH 110. Same as EDCI560.

ART 561. Intermediate Oil Paint. (3) I, II. Continuation of Introduction to Oil Painting, with emphasis on direct observation from still life and human form. Six hours lab. Pr.: ART 220 and 245.

ART 563. Photography in Art II. (3) Creative exploration of broad-based approaches to photographic images. Both camera and darkroom manipulations will be used in the process of image making. Six hours lab. May be repeated for credit. Pr.: ART 295.

ART 565. Ceramics II. (3) I, II. Advanced work on potter's wheel combined with hand-built forms. Consideration of simple kiln design, firing techniques, and procedures using various fuel burning kilns. Six hours lab. May be taken for four semesters. Pr.: ART 265.

ART 570. Mixed Media Painting Workshop. (3) I, II. Experimental approaches to painting within varied media. Focus on media, idea, and composition, using traditional painting materials, including assemblage. Six hours lab. Pr.: ART 245.

ART 575. Graphic Design: The Digital Environment. (3) I, II, S. Development and preparation of design concepts for application in the digital environment. World Wide Web documents/publications. CD-ROM, disk, and other presentation/delivery formats. Select topics in design. Six hours lab. Pr.: ART 201 and 400.

ART 576. Advanced Typography. (3) I, II, S. Typographic theory and use exploring formal and informal structures with an analysis of historic styles from the Dadaists through current typographic concepts. Multi-page layouts emphasized. Six hours lab. Pr.: ART 205, 290, and 400.

ART 577. Matrix Studio and Business Practices. (3) I, II, S. Students are selected by portfolio review, design projects are completed to client specifications. Professional design management, ethics, setting up a business, client/ designer relationships, contractual options, billing practices, and operating procedures will be covered. Six hours lab. May be repeated. Pr.: ART 576.

ART 580. Visual Communication Senior Studio. (3) I, II, S. Directed senior thesis project, portfolio, and resume preparation. Selected topics in design. Six hours lab. May be repeated once. Pr.: Instructor's permission, ART 576.

ART 582. Internships in Visual Communication. (1-3) I, II, S. The student works with the supervision of faculty and an appointed professional. Emphasis is on the development of approaches to problem solving and strengthening related skills in visual communications within a professional setting. May be repeated for up to 9 hours credit. Pr.: ART 575 and consent of instructor.

ART 602. 20th Century Art History III. (3) I, II. Art movements beginning with abstract expressionism and continuing through pop, op, minimal, and conceptual art movements up to 1980. Pr.: ART 195 or 196.

ART 603. 20th Century Art History IV. (3) I, II, S. The art movements of the 1980s beginning with photo-realism and continuing through pattern and decoration, new image art, neo-expressionism, and neo-abstraction. Pr.: ART 195 or 196.

ART 604. Greek Art History. (3) I, II. The art of classical Greece, from its Aegean origins through the Hellenistic period. Pr.: ART 195 or 196.

ART 608. Special Studies in Art. (1-6) I, II. Specialized workshops or seminars conducted in studio, art therapy, art education, or art history. Pr.: Three credit hours in the relevant area.

ART 611. Digital Photography and Advanced Techniques. (3) I, II. Introduction to the principles and aesthetics of digital image processing as well as continued exploration of chemical photography techniques. May be repeated for credit. Pr.: ART 400 and 563.

ART 612. Renaissance Art History. (3) I, II. Renaissance art of northern and southern Europe in the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries, with a brief discussion of its fourteenth century origins. Pr.: ART 195 or ART 196.

ART 622. Baroque Art History. (3) I, II. The development of the baroque period in northern and southern Europe, from its beginnings in the early seventeenth century to the rococo style of the eighteenth century. Pr.: ART 195 or 196.

ART 626. Independent Study—Photography. (Var.) I, II. Advanced work in photography, an emphasis on personal development. Competency in camera and photo-related processes required. Pr.: ART 295.

ART 628. Foreign Studies in Art History. (1-6) I, II, S. Participation in art history study abroad. Pr.: Three credit hours of art history and consent of instructor.

ART 630. Foreign Studies in Studio Art. (1-6) I, II, S. Participation in studio art study abroad. Pr.: Three credit hours of studio art and consent of instructor.

ART 632. The Development of American Art. (3) I, II. American art from the Colonial period to the beginnings of abstract expressionism in the early 1940s, with major emphasis on the late nineteenth and early twentieth century developments. Pr.: ART 195 or 196.

ART 634. History of Modern Sculpture. (3) I, II. Directions in sculpture since the time of Rodin. Pr.: ART 195 or 196.

ART 642. Nineteenth Century Art History. (3) I, II. Painting, sculpture, and architecture of the late eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, with emphasis on the art of France. Pr.: ART 195 or 196.

ART 654. Women in Art. (3) I, II. The work of women artists from early Middle Ages to the twentieth century, with emphasis on the contemporary period. Pr.: ART 195 or 196.

ART 662. Southwestern Indian Arts and Culture. (3) I, II. The development of southwestern Indian silversmithing, weaving, pottery, basketry, and painting from the prehistoric period through the twentieth century. Pr.: ART 195 or 196.

Undergraduate and graduate credit

ART 600. Advanced Drawing. (1-5. Credits over 3 hours must be approved by the instructor.) I, II. Upper-level drawing, development, and personal motivation. Lectures and problems directed toward an understanding of the historical development of drawing as well as investigations of contemporary attitudes. May be taken for four semesters. Pr.: ART 225, 240.

ART 601. Graphic Design History/Theory/Criticism. (3) I, II. Significant works from late nineteenth century to the present to provide understanding of the development and character of graphic design, artists, and designers. Six hours lab. Pr.: ART 576.

ART 610. Figure Drawing II. (3) I, II. Continuation of Figure Drawing I, with emphasis on individual expression. Six hours lab. May be taken for four semesters. Pr.: ART 225.

ART 623. Advanced Concepts in Computer Art and Design. (3) I, II, S. Studio exploration of computers as a tool/medium for art disciplines. Two hours lec., four hours lab. a week. Pr.: ART 575. May be repeated for up to 6 credit hours.

ART 624. Photography Art Direction. (3) I, II. Relationship of photography to graphic design. Art direction of photographs, photograms, and related darkroom experimentation. Students must have a camera with adjustable shutter speeds and lens opening. Six hours lab. Pr.: ART 290.

ART 625. Independent Study-Art Education. (1-5) I, II, S. Work offered in art education after competency has been achieved. Personal development is emphasized. Pr.: Full sequence of courses related to art education subject matter.

ART 631. Contemporary Media Seminar. (3) I, II. A review of trends in contemporary media and visual communication. Studio/lec. Pr.: ART 575. May be repeated for up to 6 credit hours.

ART 635. Advanced Printmaking. (3) I, II. Advanced work in relief, serigraphy, lithography, and intaglio. Six hours lab. May be taken for six semesters. Pr.: ART 235.

ART 645. Sculpture II. (3) I, II. Emphasis on artistic development through exploratory experiences in the various media. Advanced woodworking processes, mold making, foundry techniques, and welding processes. Six hours lab. May be taken for four semesters. Pr.: ART 230.

ART 650. Advanced Senior Painting Studio. (3) I, II. Individualized studio work in varied painting media. Focus on strengths and exploration of media for personal expression. Emphasis for graduating seniors will be on producing a cohesive body of work in preparation of BFA exhibition. May be taken four times. Six hours lab. Pr.: ART 561 and 570.

ART 655. Metalsmithing Techniques. (3) I, II. Surface embellishment, container construction of various techniques, linkage, and mechanical problems will be explored in addition to stone setting. Six hours lab. May be taken for three semesters. Pr.: ART 270.

ART 660. Sculpture III. (1-5) I, II. Continuation of Sculpture II. Further exploration of media and technique, emphasizing the development of individual direction and expression. Primarily for undergraduate sculpture majors. May be taken for four semesters. Pr.: ART 645.

ART 665. Ceramics III. (1-5) I, II. Individual exploration and further development of ceramic design and glaze technology; continuation of kiln design and construction. Six hours lab. May be taken for three semesters. Pr.: ART 565.

ART 675. History of Ceramics. (3) I, II. History and development of ceramics; study of the use of pottery and other aspects of ceramics from earliest known records to present day. Use of slides and other visual materials. Pr.: ART 195 or 196.

ART 679. Color Experiments, Theory, and Application. (3) Intersession only. Explores the interaction of color through a variety of exercises, both practical and experimental. Emphasis on visual perception and the relative use of color. Color's potential in illusionist structures and visual communication, color systems. Pr.: ART 100.

ART 680. Metals Workshop. (1-5) I, II. A number of metalsmithing techniques will be explored by the upper division student with emphasis on experimental problems and possibilities. The development of an individual point of view will predominate throughout the course. May be repeated twice. Pr.: ART 655.

ART 685. Advanced Independent Study Design. (Var.) I, II, S. Advanced work in design-related subjects. Pr.: Full sequence of courses related to problem subject matter.

ART 690. Techniques in Teaching Art. (Var.) I. Lectures and class discussion of methods, consideration of suitable laboratory equipment, use of illustrative material, and preparation of courses of study. Pr.: Twelve hours in art or consent of instructor.

ART 695. Topics in Art History. (Var.) I, II, S. Independent exploration in selected problems in art history. Pr.: Twelve hours art history.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]